Hog feeder holds 100 lbs

I have one of those as well. It is an excellent feeder. I wanted a feeder that could hold more feed...but aside from that, those feeders are excellent and well constructed!

one thing i have learned is to use pellets and not crumble in the hog feeder. the crumble is too fine and some leaks out. after about 200 lbs of food...i switched to pellets..,

using pellets...it doesn’t leak at all. duck tape solved the crumble issue...but after switching to pellets...i don’t think i would ever use crumble anyway...what a waste...and creates more dust in the non coop area.

why do they sell crumble vs pellets? pellets seem like a no brainer.

why do they sell crumble vs pellets? pellets seem like a no brainer.

Obvious answer: because people buy them :lol:

Baby chicks cannot eat pellets.
Some bantams are small enough they cannot or will not eat pellets.
Some people say their hens can't or won't switch to pellets after they grow up eating crumbles.

At one time I bought pellets for a big tube feeder, and crumbles to make into wet mash each day (same birds, same kind of feed, two shapes.) The crumbles got nice and wet faster than the pellets. It was only a small difference, but that minute or two mattered to me at the time. (I had 50 chickens then, so neither kind of feed had much time to sit around and lose nutrients.)

@Carson213 Do you have a link to the hog feeder you use?
https://www.hogslat.com/farmstead-double-door-hog-pig-feeder-fs401

I just didn’t put the covers on at the bottom since the chickens wouldn’t be able to open them. Also, I have my feeder inside the coop and I don’t have problems with pests getting into the feed. In the storage area of my chicken house, i have bags of feed sitting on the floor and haven’t yet had a problem with mice/rats getting into the food...so this feeder might not be a good choice for outside or if you have other critters that get into your chicken feed.

Back
Top Bottom