Holderreads is closing!?!?!?!

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
I heard they are! Is it true? I wanted to order some magpies and some mini appleyards and some geese from them in the next couple following years!!!!!?

Someone posted that a member of the family stated they will cutting way back and they gotten rid of some of their breeding flocks. My guess is age and ability to enjoy the work might have something to do with it, just a guess though.

However, there are plenty of GREAT breeders all over the country to obtain quality stock from when you are looking to buy. Spend time visiting breed club web sites, shows near you and searching the BYC page and web sites/blogs of the breeders who post here on BYC. Ask around who others would recommend.

With the economy watch when others are having to down size. Watch where others are getting their breeding stock from, then contact them about being put on a wait list or notify list for the next breeding season. (if they offer these services)

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you've heard something new, the Holderreads have sold their breeding stock in several breeds. If it isn't on their web site, they are no longer breeding it.

Both the Holderreads are in their 70's and say they want to cut back. I wrote to them to ask about the Pomeranians I have reserved for the spring and was told that if they decide to sell the Pomeranian flock, I will be given the option of purchasing adults.

That is all that I know. Except that their Buff Americans went to Metzers and a breeder in Oregon got all of one of the spotted ducks (brain lock, can't think of which breed) , and there are a couple of colors of Runners and all the Sebbies that are gone.

As far as I know, and I haven't heard any rumors different, there will still be ducks and geese hatched and sold next spring. Just not all the breeds he offered before.

a breeder in Oregon got all of one of the spotted ducks (brain lock, can't think of which breed)

Anconas.....and Boondockers is the breeder.

Rumor also reported on the goose board but people there have talked to them and they plan to be hatching next year and are accepting deposits on next years hatches!

Thanks for the link farmrgirl!
smile.png

Quote:
@awesome: you bet!

Quote:
@Duckgirl: I don't think they're closing right now. They've been working their whole lives for waterfowl conservation and breed improvement so they'll want to find just the right like-minded folks to take their flocks and continue their work. Unless something serious happens, they'll most likely keep parsing out their current population and continue to do what they've always done.

Back
Top Bottom