holding eggs for hatching.

donkeydew2farms

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 12, 2014
hi all, I want to know how long can you hold eggs for hatching . I just got 12 easter eggers today and I will be getting 12 more in about 2weeks . my incubator can hold 24 eggs I would like to hatch them all at once. if I cant not a problem . thanks j

hi all, I want to know how long can you hold eggs for hatching . I just got 12 easter eggers today and I will be getting 12 more in about 2weeks . my incubator can hold 24 eggs I would like to hatch them all at once. if I cant not a problem . thanks j
Why are you in such a hurry to hatch? :confused:

Do you mean chickens or hatching eggs? (at first I thought you meant chickens) Are they being shipped, how far? Can you delay your second eggs an extra week?! What bator are you using and current intended parameters or thoughts on how to proceed... current level of understanding, have you hatched before?

I'ma give a bit more detail.. and say set your first 12 now (or in a week MIGHT work best for the staggered thing, I must contemplate for a few) and then set the other 12 when they come.. doing a staggered hatch.. with some manipulation.. is possible though extra challenging. Order another bator!

Eggs can be stored extra long.. by storing upside down inside a plastic bag. Review the following link for MANY details.. and tag/quote me to ask questions if follow up is needed..

Incubation guide

Happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy

I routinely store eggs up to 22 days before incubating them. I store them small end up at 50°F. Two days prior to setting them, I move them to the incubation room to warm up to room temperature (70°F).
Keep in mind that stored eggs will lose moisture during storage and your humidity levels during incubation should be considered. I have hatched mixed aged eggs with no remarkable loss of viability in the older eggs.
I hope this is helpful and good luck in the hatch.

Back
Top Bottom