Holding Weight on Meat Bird red Bro's

VT-510

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 8, 2012
So I have a chicken operation going, I send 80 birds a week down to a restaurant in NYC. I get 200 chicks every 2 weeks and send the larger ones at 7 weeks and the second group of 80 at 8 weeks. This leaves me with 20+ birds to sell off my farm.
My target weight is 3 1/4 lbs for restaurant birds and these red broilers are coming in a bit heavy at those time junctures.
Other than sending at 6 and 7 weeks Which I think would yield a bit light), as that would mess up my chick receipt and send schedule, what can I do to hold weight on these birds for the last 2 weeks or so? In order to make this operation easier, (I just have one silo) I feed out 1 broiler crumble of 20% protein which is delivered every 7 weeks in 3 tons.Chicks go out on pasture at 3 weeks.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Sorry, forgot to mention that. I move them twice daily, and unlimited feed during the day, one 30lb hanging feeder in each. The 6/7 week olds (65 per tractor) will go thru that in the day for the most part, I scatter a couple of pounds in each tractor at night to keep them occupied. The others have maybe 5-8 pounds left at the end of day.I have had issues with pecking/cannibalism in the past so I am hesitant to hold feed from them as hungry agitated birds tend to get up to mischief in my experience.
I was thinking about oats as I have heard that it will not put on weight but keep them sated. I hate putting in another step/cost in a system that is already a lot of work for $600-$700 a week.

Lowering the protein would also slow the weight gain. Adding oats would do that. Maybe use a scratch feed instead of regular feed at your evening throw on the ground to keep them occupied feeding. Most scratch feeds are lower in protein

Do you think cracked corn would lower the protein enough w/out adding too much fat or would it be a wash as far as fat weight vs. protein weight? I ask only because I have corn on hand to feed my pigs.
It's going to require some futzing unfortunately...but too big is better than too small.

Corn at around 9% protein would cut it would cut the protein down. As to the protein /fat I think it would depend. What breed and how active they are. Cornish Xs I would think might not be active enough, Freedom rangers might be. Your red broilers I don't know. Some experimenting on when you cut the protein down might be in order as well.

I went for it today, cut the daily ration down by 25% and the bedtime toss is now corn. These Red Bro's are VERY active, fast as all hell in the open field (if one escapes) and also good foragers. Weight conversion is maybe not as good as Cornish X but close.
I did the X's last year and as far as health and mobility these far surpass them....I did suffer from some growing pains last year though in terms of system operation, bird mortality, etc.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom