Hole in back of neck- will it close? vet says cull *update*

You can not sew or glue a necrotic wound, you just seal everything that needs to be shed off inside. It could be debrided, but with that deep a wound you would need anesthesia, or it would be very painful. Just keep the hen in a small, clean area alone, clean the wound daily (I like warm water and Epsom soaks), and apply an antibiotic ointment around the edges of the wound. If you have a clean syringe you could also flush the wound out each day with some warm water. Don't apply medications down inside the wound, as they may damage the new healing cells. If she continues eating and drinking well, she may be able to heal this wound herself with just some nursing care. Good luck!

I have now separated her into a small area in the garage where she can't sand bath, She has food and drink but less space so I hope this calm and daily cleaning will help.

I agree with 1muttsfan do not glue or sew the wound closed. After a wound occurs you have a few hours to suture it closed or the chance for infection skyrockets (at least in humans
smile.png
, would think the same in birds). Also, agree with the limit the antibiotics in the wound bed. After you have no signs of infection.

We had a bird attacked by a raccoon with half her breast taken out. She survived it. We isolated her, limited her movement. Cleaned the wound daily with saline (contact lens solution, can get expensive). We also worked to keep the fly maggots out of the wound. Although, maggots only eat dead tissue so could clean out the necrosis in theory.

I'm guessing it is summer in South Africa so flies could be more of an issue than here in the states.

Good luck with nursing your hen.

FYI I am not a veterinarian or a vet tech, nor do I claim to be one or have any special knowledge above some minor anecdotal experience with my hen.

i just posted about my chicken gettin attacked by a dog and she had a pretty good size hole in her back but so far she has healed up with no infection and feathers are even starting to grow back. i did everything you did but i only used proxide to clean it seperated her from the flock and kept an eye on her good luck

Last edited:
I have a chicken (a NN with very unprotected skin) that had about a 1" gash just under her neck, probably from ducking under a fence. By the time I saw it, was too late to suture it. I just sprayed blukote on it and left it alone - the other chickens never bothered it and it's almost completely closed now.

I am so sorry for not making myself clear the Sugar water, Organic apple cider vinegar, Vitamin water go into a water bowl for her to drink to build up her inside system and make her stronger

wipe pads, syringe to wash away stuff to help clean it up real good and the Neosporin, Blu-Cote. you got it. That should help.It is too late I think to stitch it or Super glue it together.

Last edited:
You will need;
Sugar water, Organic apple cider vinegar, Vitamin water, some wound cleaning supplies like wipe pads, syringe to wash away stuff . Also Neosporin, Blu-Cote.

okay sorry to sound dumb but what do I do with what?

We cleaned it with antiseptic liquid and water, then poured some Apple cider vinegar over - was not sure if this is what I was supposed to do with the ACV *blush*
we cut off the feathers around it and cleaned as much as we could, the edges look terrible, not sure if we can stick them together. I did not have super glue tonight but will get some tomorrow if we need it. We then sprayed the whole thing with that purple Necrospray stuff.

What sort of vitamins do I need to put in the water, do I use human vitamins or special chicken one?

Sugar water -- probably meant to give her to drink. A little Gatorade or similar product in the water would be better, for the electrolytes. You can buy electrolyte solutions for animals, but really, an ounce or two of Gatorade in her water is fine. Drainage from the wound will take some electrolytes out of her, so this helps replace them.

Apple cider vinegar -- also meant to go in the water, about a Tbsp. to a gallon. I've never seen any research that shows it's effective, but lots of people take a dose themselves and say it helps. I believe it provides probiotics. Actually, I use it sometimes. I figure it won't hurt, and it helps keep the algae down. Not to be used on the wound, though, if only because it would hurt.

Vitamins -- simplest thing is to get some infant vitamin drops at the drug store, without iron. Poly-Vi-Sol is the old standard brand, but mine carry a generic so I get that. Probably a good idea. If you have vitamin E around, I'd probably give her a capsule a week or so.

I would not give tomato juice. Other than vitamins and a little Gatorade (or any electrolyte,) I would pretty much stick with a good feed. Personally, I'd see if I could find a small bag of game bird feed and use it as a treat or mixed in. Usually the protein is higher. Or I'd just give her regular layer with a little extra protein, maybe a scrambled egg every few days. When you start adding a lot of people foods, you can end up with an unbalanced diet. And definitely don't try to close it.

I wish you both well.

Last edited:
well she survived the night, I noticed this morning that she has laid a shell-less egg, is that because she is stressed?

The wound does not smell good. I know it needs to be debrided and the dead tissue removed but there is no vet that is going to do that. I am not sure how to remove the dead tissue or if there is anything I can put on or use that would help.

I read about honey helping wounds, is it worth a shot?

Dressing don't stay on so it has to just be what I can put in. I have also heard of silver and charcoal for wound healing.

I wouldn't try to close it up either, I had a chicken that had the top of her scull torn open, you could see her brain, a raccoon got a hold of her. I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and she fully recovered with no infections. Isolating her is the best thing right now. I always thought soft shell was a sign of lack of calcium, perhaps that's the case with that bad of a wound. I would keep an eye out to make sure it doesn't continue then your probably looking at internal damages.. perhaps an infection internally...

Back
Top Bottom