Hole in beak? What is this? (picture included)

cicene mete

Songster
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
My little pullet has what appears to be a hole in her beak. The area around it is raised, and behind it is something black, like a scab. Has anyone ever seen this before? What is it? Is there anything I could/should be doing?
Thanks!
12125_007.jpg

Quote:
How long has she had it? I had an OEG that I adopted from the SPCA that got something similar but further up closer to her eye. I seperated her from the flock as it kept getting larger and turned into a gaping hole into her skull. I tried two weeks of antibiotics both topical and in the water to no avail. I eventually had to cull her. She never really got sick but she was not herself anymore and so prone to injury and infection. Wait and see what happens but don't let it go too long.

My rooster gets marks like this on his beak because he is constantly trying to put his head through the chicken wire that his cage is made of. Hopefully this is your issue rather than something more severe. *shrug* I figured it was worth mentioning. I hope that it is a self resolving issue for you, good luck!

Thanks for all the replies. She's had it for a while, but not since hatch. I first noticed it a couple of weeks ago, but it seems to have gotten worse. We use a plastic feeder, but there is chicken wire everywhere, so it's possible she's scraping against something. It's also possible she's getting pecked, although I haven't seen it recently.

Sorry to hear about your OEGB, NottinghamChicks. I hope that's not what it is. I guess I'll try some topical antibiotic and see how it goes. She seems to be behaving normally as of right now.

The only thing I can think of is that a couple of months ago, she was taken by a predator. Somehow, she got away and returned five days later, but it's possible something happened then.

If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know.

My goose put a hole in his bill somehow, I didn't even put anything on it just watched it close and it healed up without even a scar. Hopefully yours will too. But it would probably be a good idea to put something on it since I don't think chickens can fight off infection like geese and ducks, [body temperature] Oh my gosh she was kidnapped and finally escaped after 5 days wow, thats amazing!

Last edited:
Quote:
That's the thing; she's such a little survivor that I would hate to see her go through that horrible experience only to die from something stupid.

Back
Top Bottom