holes in egg shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CarolynPerth, Nov 14, 2009.

1. CarolynPerth

CarolynPerth Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    Perth
    Hello,

One of my older hens (not sure of exact age but was told 2 by the person I bought from) lays eggs with one or two holes in the shell at the narrower end, sometimes the holes are surrounded by specks of calcium and sometimes the hole is covered by lumpy shell but always in the same place on the egg. She seems healthy and lays larger eggs averaging about 5 a week, sometimes double yolkers.

I am worried the hole signifies an internal problem such as a tumour.

Carolyn

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Don't know much about that, but maybe add some osyter shells. I know that helps for harder shell.

3. CarolynPerth

Nov 14, 2009
    Perth
    Thanks choco, it can't hurt I guess!
    Beside free ranging .They eat mostly layer pellets, a layer grain mix that also contains shell plus I crush up any damaged eggs and eggshells and feed them back with the kitchen scraps. The rest of the flock (6) have no shell problems but I could give that one bird extra and see if it helps.

4. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    I found an interesting link for you on the causes of pinholes in eggs.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/22/pinholes

Of all things it says to "prevent excess calcium intake in winter". Who would have known that excess calcium could cause pinholes? [​IMG] In my opinion (which isn't worth anything) I think it's just due to her age and breed. Sounds to me like you are doing everything right. Good luck! Keep us updated!

(I was going to recommend more calcium until I found the link)

5. CarolynPerth

Nov 14, 2009
    Perth
    Quote:Thank you for that link. Well it sort of makes sense, if there are pimples of extra calcium on other eggs she lays maybe the ones with holes are being caused by those pimples being knocked off on the way out (ouch). Intriguing.

So long as she is not sick I'll just keep an eye on it. I have only had her six weeks and I have no idea how long it takes for any change in feed to affect something like this. I do know they didn't free range at their former home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by