Holey moley, look at this peacock

Quote:
They were all spauldings then too, but the Emerald refers to a better quality bird. Any breeder that has experience with spauldings knows there is a wide range of color & quality.

Some spauldings can look very close in chest color to a blue india and do not have the individual chest feather apperance of the greens. By selective breeding and crossing back to Java green, birds with more green are produced.

In the 26 years I have had peafowl, before the peafowl assn existed, this is the way some spauldings were called.

The UPA (United Peafowl Assn) classifies them into one variety, as they do not specify the different qualities of spauldings. Thats like they list "Black Shouldered" as a variety not "Blue Black Shouldered" as I have seen in some of the posts. But there is no rule that says they can not be refered to like that.

Randy

I also have been raising peafowl from 1980, thing is about spalding is that they are a cross breed, chicks from the same hatch with not all look the same. Some will take after the green,other after the blue. So u cant look at a bird and tell for sure its a emerald (75% green)or just a spalding that took more after the green parent. People call them emerald to get higher price for them.
So much better to know what % of green. Sure you know a 15/16 green spalding is worth more than 1/2 green spalding. Even if the 1/2 took after the green side.

Lots of the old terms are still used, but need changed. Like oaten and yes blackshoulder, with all the new varieties.

Blue Blackshoulders(soild wing) do have shoulders colored black, first patterns were in blue.

Opal Blackshoulder(soild wing) do NOT have shoulder colored black, their color is silver or grey shoulder.

Purple Blackshoulder (soild wing) shoulders not BLACK but color is brown sholder.

Oaten is just a cameo soild wing(BS)

Trouble with calling birds emerald is so many call any spalding that to get a higher dollar, no you cant alway tell by looking.

Like I have seen eggs on ebay listed as Java Spalding, which I think you know a Java is a pure green.

Just giving reason why a emerald is just a spalding. Its still a cross breed and will not breed true.

I know the old habits are hard to break, I still have trouble calling blackshoulder soild wing.

Heck we cant even get the spelling of spalding the same, some people spalding others spaulding. Reason we need national stardard of terms. Spalding came from the last name of the Lady who produced this cross breed.

Last edited:
Like to add if people would list the % of green lot better.

1/2 green spalding
3/4 green spalding (old emerald)
7/8 green spalding
15/16 green spalding
31/32 green spalding

Worth of the birds go up with % of green. As you see a emerald is just a little more than a 2nd cross. Reason emerald doesnt mean much, old time yes, but not these days as so many 31/32 birds are now produced. Which takes over 15 year breeding to get a 31/32 bird, then people want to just call it a emerald, with a first year cross bird that took after the green parent is also a emerald.

OMG, how am I ever going to have a favorite with all these gorgeous birds?!
I definitely like the pieds though since the train can have such an oddity to it. But all of them are gorgeous.

Man, now I am soo confused. I'll never get peafowl genetics down.

Deerman, the link you posted about the pieds.. it says that 'Dark Pied' will have white in the wing primaries.. I'm assuming that is the very end of the wing?

My male (which was sold to me simply as 'Indian Blue') has white wing primaries. So should I call him a Dark Pied instead? What would the offspring be if bred to a pure Indian Blue hen?

Maybe I need to get a white hen and get some pied babies.
droolin.gif

Quote:
Yes primaries are the outside wing feathers,
Birds with white primaries can be dark pied or birds spilt white.

Blue X white will NOT produce Pieds, but the chicks will have white primaries.

Quote:
Yes primaries are the outside wing feathers,
Birds with white primaries can be dark pied or birds spilt white.

Blue X white will NOT produce Pieds, but the chicks will have white primaries.

Thanks!
I meant a Dark Pied (my male) and a pure Indian blue (my female), what would be the outcome of the offspring? Would they carry any specific genes?

Blackbird do you know your peacock is dark pied, does he have white throat patch. he could be jusy carry the white gene.

Dark Pied X Blue = blue split pied look blue

Dark Pied X white = all pied chicks

Blue split white X Blue = all chicks look blue 50% will carry the white gene

Back
Top Bottom