That's Weird....... Help Please?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ratzy, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Ratzy

Ratzy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    Okay.... I just came back from overseas and I find that my silver-laced wyandotte 'hen' is now a roo.
    'She' was six months old and people on here told me she was a hen. Now 'she' is 9 months old and looks like this.
    http://www.google.com.au/imgres?img...&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:32&biw=1024&bih=587
    Used to look like this.
    [​IMG]
    So now I'm confused and have 2 roos and 4 hens, which isn't good, is it?
    I am very attached to my boys, don't really want to rehome either. They don't fight or anything yet, they are inseparable.

Advice?

2. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Quote:Have they been together their whole lives? If so, you might be able to keep them together. It is sort of a wait and see process. You wait to see if they start fighting for dominance. I have 2 roos and put a divider in the run and have two coops so that they can have their own harem, but in the afternoons everyone free ranges together.
    I hope that is helpful... [​IMG]

3. Ratzy

Ratzy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    Yes, they were raised together in my bedroom from day-olds lol.

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Sometimes one is a late bloomer. If they've been together this long, you have the best shot at them continuing to get along (i'm sure by now the alpha roo knows his date's not a girl [​IMG] .

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Is it crowing?? Otherwise from the picture I can't see that it is a rooster. Does it have a rooster tail?

6. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:did you look at the first link? This pic is definitely a rooster:

[​IMG]

the 2nd pic is what it looked like at 6 months.

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I have 3 roosters (23 hens) and the boys don't fight. Pecking order established as youngsters growing up together. TOp rooster is established and no-one questions his authority. THerefore, no fighting. These 3 grew up together from day one.

You're boys may never fight; just watch the hens for overuse. Hens may need a saddle thing to protect their back or separate boys into their own pen.

GL

8. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    You said you were deployed? Did a well meaning family member have an accident and make a quick replacement? That is an odd one!

9. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Im thinking the same thing. Mainly because the feathers on each picture are completely different! [​IMG]

10. liz allen

liz allen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    It doesn't look like the same bird in both pictures to me either. Not quiet the same as swapping a goldfish or a hampster [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by