Holiday Recipes Please

Ottoman-the thought of a three legged lamb wandering around kinda depresses me.
sad.png

Just kidden. I know most of us are carnivors at heart. Give me a rib eye any day and I am in heaven. MOOOOOO

my goodness, this is going to be an awesome holiday season with all these mouth watering--diet blowing..recipes, yum-O is right !~!~

Dry-Roasted Grasshoppers
Start with 24 live insects. Place them in a colander and cover with cheesecloth. Rinse with lukewarm water and place in the freezer. After 20 minutes or so, they will be dead but not frozen. Remove the head, wings and hind legs. Spread them on a cookie sheet and bake at 200°F for 2 hours, until they are dried. You can use them in the recipes below or dip them directly into melted chocolate or warmed honey.

Fruited Grasshoppers
1 cup grasshopper flour (grind dry-roasted grasshoppers into flower, in food processor)
1 Tbs raisins
1/2 cup dried mixed fruit (apricots, dates, etc) chopped
1/4 cup water

Combine all ingredients. Pinch off pieces of dough to make strips about the size of your finger and place on greased baking sheets. Bake for 20 minutes at 325°F. An excellent energy bar. Makes about 12 pieces.

This is an actual recipe and I have made them. [I dipped them in melted chocolate, and always put a little sign that says “Chocolate covered Grasshoppers”] It is a great novelty recipe. The kids love them; I had a friend at one of my parties eat 4 or 5 of them, that evening her kids said that they could not believe that there mom ate Chocolate covered Grasshoppers. There mom said O-there not really Chocolate covered Grasshoppers, it’s just a name for them, like caremaul turtles. No they said they were real Chocolate covered Grasshoppers, she called my up and asked me, when I told her that they were Chocolate covered Grasshoppers. She asked me how long will they be in my body.

Flat Bread
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water (or as needed)
Flour of cornmeal (for flouring the pan only)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil for greasing pan
Melted margarine

Combine flours and salt. Slowly add water until dough sticks together. Knead until dough is soft and elastic. Cover and let rest on a floured surface for 30-45 minutes.
Divide dough into 12 small lumps. Dust hands with flour, pat lumps flat and gently stretch the dough until it is about 6 inches round.
Flour the rounds and put in a very hot frying pan. When bread bubbles turn over and cook on the other side. When it puffs up turn over again and keep turning until both sides have black spots (about 3 minutes). Brush with margarine while bread is hot.

Crisp Fried Potato pancake

Yield: 10 servings

2 1/2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled
1 large onion
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/8 teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground, or to taste
1/4 cup matzo meal or 2 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil, for frying

Shred or grate the potatoes alternately with the onion. (The size of the shreds is a matter of personal taste. Coarse shreds produce lacier pancake with rough edges. Fine shreds or grated potatoes produce denser, smoother pancake. [I like the finer])

Rinse shred potatoes 3 or 4 times squeeze the excess liquid from the potato and onion. (This will keep potatoes from turning brown)

To squeeze out water
Lay two handfuls of grated potatoes & onion in the center of a hand towel, bring the corners up together and wring out as much water as you can.

Mix in a bowl the grated potatoes & onion, the eggs, salt, pepper and matzo meal & flour. Let the mixture rest for about 5 minutes so that the matzo meal can absorb some moisture. If the mixture still seems very wet, add a bit more matzo meal.

In a very large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat oil that is about 1/8- to 1/4-inch deep until it is very hot but not smoking.

To form each pancake, use a large spoon to transfer some of the potato mixture to the oil; then flatten the mixture slightly with a spatula.
Fry the pancake until they are well browned on both sides and crisp around the edges. Drain them well on paper towels. Repeat the process until all the pancake are fried.

Serve the pancake as soon as possible for the best taste and texture.

Accompany the pancake with applesauce, sour cream, and/or yogurt, as desired.

pancake can be frozen then heated in the oven at 400 till warm through.

big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom