Holland Lop Color Confusion

JasperMosby

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 4, 2014
Kingsley, MI

I'm not sure what color she technically is. I'm having trouble getting the entire difference between lynx, smoke pearl, blue tort, lilac tort, and cream.

Okay, for starters, Lynx and Cream are Agouti pattern colors; Smoke Pearl and Tort are Self pattern colors.

Agoutis have white rings around their eyes, white insides to their ears, white around the nostrils, under the jaw, under the belly, and under the tail. they also have ticking or banding on the body hairs.

Self-patterned rabbits don't have the white "trim," their bellies are colored pretty much like the body, the insides of their ears are as dark as the outsides, the bottom of the tail is the same color as the top. While their body hairs may have areas of more than one color (black at the tip, gray at the base, for example), they tend to blend from one color to the other rather than having clear, sharply defined bands.

A Smoke Pearl of any breed is always shades of gray. Smoke Pearl is the dilute of Siamese Sable, so it has darker points rather like a Siamese cat, but the whole thing is darker or lighter shades of gray - gray belly, gray body, darker gray on the tail, feet, ears, and face.

Torts are an orange or fawn color on the body, with black, brown, grey or lilac on the "points." There is some darker shading on the sides of the body; the belly and bottom of the tail are colored.

Lynx is the dilute, chocolate version of the Chestnut Agouti. They are similar to Opal, but with a pinkish dove-gray as the top color.

Cream is pretty much a dilute orange; the body is a creamy beige, there is the typical white "trim" of an Agouti, and the eyes are gray.

Not every possible genetic combination results in a showable color. I'm wondering if your girl might not be one of those "whoopses." Are there any otters or other tan-patterned colors in her background? Tans have the white trim of an Agouti, but the body color of a Self.

Thank you so much for the information. I got her as a pet from a pumpkin patch so other than her two parents, which were broken and solid, I didn't see or know of any of her lineage.
It's very probable that she is one of those odd in between colors and that's totally fine. I was just wondering if she fit into any of the color demographics or not.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom