Holy cow! My coop is hosed! Snowstorm related....

Whoa.....scares me! At least I do have a tractor....but, boy 25 chickens would sure get crowded in it. Hmmmmm.....need to think about it. We all need to make those plans for 'just in case'. I have four roosters....what a mess that would be!

Best of luck to those of you that have snow. Am going to think about the ventilation in my coop and make provisions for if snow comes in here. We don't have it often nor does it last very long....but last year and the year before we had quite a bit!

I am speechless!!! Those are the most incredible pictures. Good thing you thought about checking on them.

How are the chickies doing now? Any frostbite?

Making me think about what to do if that happens here...

Carol

Quote:
I think they are doing fine. The storm hit at 3am and I went out at 5am and boarded all of the vents but the one that you see open in the pictures. The floor has a hole in it and a ramp going down to the run underneath, I left that open too so they could get to the waterer. It was about 7am when we went out to feed them and check the water and that's when I discovered the snow was getting in. The temps were actually not that bad though, 20 or so. They perked right up and started scratching around as soon as they got in the box.

I now have an improvised enclosure for them in the garage. It doesn't look the greatest but it is roomy enough. 8x4 pen made out of an old baby play yard with a 2x4 roost that is 6' long. I went out to the coop and yanked out the nest boxes so they can lay somewhere and stuck a galvanized drinker in with them. I wish I had more bedding though, the bedding is really light as I was going to go and get some this week. I have a friend who has a straw business that I will call tomorrow and get a bale or two.

Holy Snowflakes Batman! That is crazy! Your poor poor chickens...I am so glad you did the dash and rescue...they looked warm and cosy in their temp. coop/box at least. How are they all doing? All fine? My thoughts are with you and everyone else experiencing that weather...

Quote:
Here is some pics from a sunnier day! The run is double what you are seeing in these pics though, I haven't snapped any good pics of the coop in the sun yet since extending it.

IMG_8631.jpg

IMG_8660.jpg

IMG_8664.jpg

IMG_8667.jpg

Well, I don't have a chicken coop yet, but hey, In south FL
cool.png
I more worried about heat stroke! It got into the low thirties a couple of days ago, but right now it's pretty good, at least compared to you guys. 63 is freezing for me!

MuscoviesBeta we were just running around in sweatshirts the other day when it was a sunny mid 30s. Lol

That storm came over here and blew the roof off my old coop. I am so glad we got the chickens moved a couple weeks ago. I also found some spots in the roof of my new barn that I am going to have the contractor back out to look at.

I am soooo glad we got our new furnace Thurs. Going through this without one would have been a little cold.

Quote:
WHEWWWWWW! I'd've never imagined that's happening. Thank heaven that you went out there to check at 5 A.M. Something, somewhere sent you a message. Much longer and they would have been dead for sure.

Back
Top Bottom