Holy Manure!!!!

LisaJean

Songster
12 Years
Sep 30, 2007
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
OK, this just completely blows my mind. I live in the city of Raliehg, and I know that I am allowed to have chickens. Just out of curiosity, I contacted my councilwoman and asked if I could keep a dairy goat. She forwarded my email to the zoning folk, and here is their reply.

On residential property within the City limits, persons may keep one head of cattle, goat or horse on lots less than one acre in size. However, any stable that may be erected must be located at least 200 feet from surrounding houses. A structure less than 42 inches in height would not be defined as a stable.

Chickens and 2 pigs/hogs weighing less than 100 pounds are also permitted to be kept.

The keeping of domesticated animals on residential property may not be commercial in nature.

A cow. A COW. I can have a freaking COW in my backyard!

I'm not going to get a cow. But I am going to start researching dairy goats, now. How nice it would be to have a source of milk!

My aunt raised arabian horses in a 2 acre lot in Raleigh, guess they arent as strict as some other cities.

There are many *varieties* of "mini-cows". You can do a search on google or whatever. Most of the purebread smaller cows are heritage breeds that were around years ago before the industry began to breed cows for larger sizes.

Get a mini cow so I can live vicariously thru you.
big_smile.png
They are soooo freakin' cute.

Cheers,
Michelle

Lucky! Those 'mini' cows are Dexter cows(from Ireland).I have a friend in the Midlands in England that had a herd of 25! So sweet tempered! It looked like liliputin land....

They are also importing minis from Australia. They are called 'Square Deal' cattle. Someone in my area imported a bunch of embryos and implanted them in their cows, I think for birth this Spring. I will be interested to see them. They are supposed to be a good meat producing mini.

There are also mini long horns and other breeds. I loff the mini long horns!!!!

Cheers,
Michelle

Back
Top Bottom