1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Holy Ravenous chicks batman!!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by max13077, Jul 14, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just got a shipment of 30+ Cornish roaster chicks from Mcmurray. Boy are they hungry!! I’ve gotten two other mailing of chicks and it usually took them a little while to “come around” so to speak. They were kind of drowsy sort of. These…Yikes!!! I’m afraid to put my hand in there!!

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    LOL

I believe they stay that ravenous even to the end. They have quite the appetites.

-Kim

3. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    Feathered pigs [​IMG]

4. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. max13077

Quote:They are!!! [​IMG] I went back out....the feed I had on a little plate....gone. They ate a couple handfuls in no time!!! [​IMG]

6. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    We had also ordered some from MMH in the spring and the bigger they got they would start attacking you or the feed bucket when they saw us coming. My poor husband once said if he ever fell down in the pen the police would never find his body. We gladly filled our freezer !!!

7. max13077

Well good, that gives me motivation to not feel so bad. They're so cute now, I worried about having to kill them. However if they're going to be nasty and piggish till the end.......[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. MaryT

MaryT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Elkton
    They are very piggish until the end........... And constantly needing to clean thier area ........ lots and lots of poo....... I was so glad to get them in my freezer......... They taste so good too............

9. max13077

Do you folks use a bedding? I was just going to have them outside in the pen(dirt floor).

10. Red Tie

Red Tie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Metamora, MI
    You will want some shavings. Their poo is HUGE and quite wet. It is much easier to keep them clean if you can rake up the shavings and poo. Kind of holds everything together. I think you might even get muddy if you didn't use shavings to absorb. And really, really stinky!

jane

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by