Hard lump in neck above the crop???

KClivlaughlove

Chirping
Jul 4, 2023
Boy oh boy okay where to start? This is going to be a long one! Telling everything from the very beginning as far back as I can remember anyways...
I have an approximate 4 and 1/2-year-old Rhode Island Red whom has open mouth breathing slightly purple comb has been separated from the flock for a good month or so no and was taken to the vet earlier this month whom had suspected possible gapeworms however I insisted he also prescribed an antibiotic of tylen 200 so that I had it on hand if I needed as the rest of my fock were showing signs of respiratory illness of some type and had lost three to this point of respiratory illness type symptoms. The I'm speaking of now her name is bossy and she had gotten to the point where she completely lost all the interest in any food any water any treats stopped all of her usual daily fun activities. Breathing extremely hard and opened mouth at times (mostly after having to give her treatment of some sort or any kind of activity is when she would open mouth breathe). During the time that she's not open mouth breathing she's still extremely breathing heavily as you can see that her tell is bouncing up and down as she breathes and it got pretty bad. Longer story shorter... Hey how I made it up and threw the vet appointment whom as I said suspected gape worm but did prescribe the Tylan 200 inj. and stated that he was not positive of the dosage for chickens but that I'm able to find that online easily. Did explain to me how to treat for the gape worms while I await for the script to arrive. Funny...He had me take a snap shot off his screen which Believe it or not was actually BYC and went on to explain to give a pea-sized portion for 5 days. I still have the screenshot. Anyhow that's how I ended up starting with the wrong dose to begin with and did find out the proper dosage but had already treated her with the pea sized for the 5 days before realizing I had way under dosed her. Thanks to @eggsessive (sorry if misspelled), who provided me proper dosage and suggested starting the treatment over at the proper dosage. In the meantime the Tylan 200 did show up and again thanks to the great support of this wonderful group of people who spend their spare time helping those like me in times of need...Provided me with dosage for giving orally. Now on day 3 of Tylan treatment, however she's fallen backwards as of 2 days ago. She was almost 90% back to her normal self and eating, drinking, activities, ECT. Now, once again heavily breathing, at times open mouthed (mainly when fighting me to give her meds and or over excerts herself). Her poop went from becoming more solid and properly colored right back to the runny, watery with a little bits of dark dark green chunks). She has very little to no interest in her blueberries (her favorite, which I forced my hubby to remove from her for 2 days cuz she was eating way too much and I feared heart failure or extreme increase in blood pressure from way too many sugars, hubby feels because it's natural sugars, sure could eat an entire bush worth and it won't hurt her so I have em back to her), raw eggs, walnuts, crackers,..all of which she was loving and then went into finally eating little bits of her normal feeds...Now we're basically almost back at square 1.
My concern (s)...LARGE KNOT IN NECK ABOVE CROP!
DID MY (SECOND) ROUND OF WORMING WITH CORRECT DOSAGE BUT ONLY 3 DAYS, INSTEAD OF 5 AS WAS SUGGESTED CAUSE YET MORE PROBLEMS FOR HER?
Before I left for work last night I told my hubby to give her some coconut oil, be sure not to hold her too tightly against crop and massive crop downward so not to cause her to throw up. (Which reminds me, she threw up her first dose of Tylan, hubby wanted to immediately regive, but I preferred to wait until her next dosage time in fear of overdose). I honestly don't know what to do at this point...
Do I again reworm at full dose at full 5 days where she's already had 2 treatments within this month (although I admit, both were not full dose full length).
Should I attempt a tube feed tube to see if obstruction is on her esophagus side?
I mean her comb is starting to turn purple again. Yes, we are still doing the nightly O2 treatments for her which in my option is the only thing that for her through this long without suffocating on whatever this obstruction is! Initially we thought it was mass off of the worm stuck in her throat, but clearly can't be that because both rounds of doses first one not being enough of the medication but for the proper amount of days the second one being enough medication dosage but not for enough days. I'm outta of thoughts, ideas and my brain is mush from all my researching! No she nor none of my gals are laying, and 1 is still finishing her molt. Yes she is separated she's been in the house for about a month now.
Anyone with any suggestions thoughts ideas anything that I could try to find out what this obstruction is or how to find out which if it's in her airway or trachea or if it's in her esophagus any other ideas on what I can do to bring her back to on the better side of whatever's going on.

Can you tell me first if any of the chickens had a swollen eyelid or face, or eye bubbles/foam, or a bad odor from the face. Symptoms can point to which disease you are seeing. Were you ever able to get a necropsy on any of the 3 chickens lost to get a proper diagnosis? That is the best way to know what was wrong. As you know with most of the more serious respiratory diseases, they are lifelong, contagious, and the whole flock become carriers.

I’m not sure what the lump above her crop is. Does it show up in a picture? How large is it? Could it be her trachea cartilage or a mass? Can you see any yellow material in the beak p, on the tongue or throat? Is there a bad odor from her beak?

The complication that is most dangerous with MG or coryza is air sacculitis where the air sacs become inflamed and infected, and the disease then spreads to the whole body. I think that you have used oxytetracycline, sulfa antibiotics, and Tylan200 on the birds. I would be giving probiotics in their feed to get their gut bacteria back to normal. I doubt that this is gapeworm, a rare worm in chickens.

Can you tell me first if any of the chickens had a swollen eyelid or face, or eye bubbles/foam, or a bad odor from the face. Symptoms can point to which disease you are seeing. Were you ever able to get a necropsy on any of the 3 chickens lost to get a proper diagnosis? That is the best way to know what was wrong. As you know with most of the more serious respiratory diseases, they are lifelong, contagious, and the whole flock become carriers.

I’m not sure what the lump above her crop is. Does it show up in a picture? How large is it? Could it be her trachea cartilage or a mass? Can you see any yellow material in the beak p, on the tongue or throat? Is there a bad odor from her beak?

The complication that is most dangerous with MG or coryza is air sacculitis where the air sacs become inflamed and infected, and the disease then spreads to the whole body. I think that you have used oxytetracycline, sulfa antibiotics, and Tylan200 on the birds. I would be giving probiotics in their feed to get their gut bacteria back to normal. I doubt that this is gapeworm, a rare worm in chickens.
Unfortunately we did not all happened on a weekend in middle of the night.
One of the prior girls had been seeing a vet initially for these same exact same symptoms, (float test showed negative as one vet office) but did find out she had additional conditions and was continually being seen and treated for EYP via palpative care. No eye or face swelling. Nasal drainage and congestion stopped no breeding sounds whatsoever no gurgling nothing. Treated with corrid early last year.
I always do prebiotics with electrolytes in between all treatments I ever do work exception of this last attempt of worm treatment X2 (PanCur), and her starting on to the Tylan now day 3. Vet suspected gape, but also felt same as I with it being a respiratory infection. Flock wide, however none of others have the purpling of the comb at all, not this large lump. I'm gonna get to get you a pic... Be back soon as possible.

These somewhat shows her large knot in neck. Oddly when she's stretches her neck up n out all the way, there zero knot nowhere.
Then there's how her poop looks, that is what she just now let out.
And finally, did best I could but best pic I could get showing purple is comb, not quite as bad as it was but it seems to darken off n on throughout the day.
I did look down her throat as far as the eye can see with a with the headlamp on bright and there's no lesions no cheesy type of nothing no nothing discolored her tongue is even properly covered. Unlike when losing two of the three others their tongue started to go somewhat purple as well bosses did the very first part of her sickness but she hasn't had the purpling of her tongue since only of her comb and it darkens off and on throughout the day to a darker purple that's as light as it gets right there in that pic. She is labored breathing right now because I just kind of had to fight her a tiny bit to look down her throat get a couple of pictures and give her her tylan dose. She don't want nothing! Not even blueberries, warmed at soaked corn, walnuts, nothing but to sit in Dad's lap, period.

Attachments

• 20240223_161407.jpg
    20240223_161407.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240223_161426.jpg
    20240223_161426.jpg
    635.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240223_162631.jpg
    20240223_162631.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240223_162236.jpg
    20240223_162236.jpg