Holy, what to do!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 7L Farm, Sep 24, 2012.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I went to check on my newest flock there about 20 weeks old & one girl was laying in the corner. I picked her up she felt light & she threw up just water. She is puffed up & real lethargic. I now have her isolated in a cage in my shed it has A/C which is on 79 degrees window open. The chickens were raised in this coop since they hatched .
    I gave her some vitamins in her water & some boiled egg but she's not interested. Her crop is empty. She was on the roost last night & free ranged about 4 hours yesterday before bedtime. I can't figure out her problem so I don't know what to do ? Any thoughts are suggestions.
    There's 18 chickens in the coop. The coop is below its big.
    Some of the girls have started to lay so I've been giving them lay pellets for about two weeks.
    I have two other flocks that range with them but don't really hang out together.
    Seems like everytime I pick her up she throws up water.
    [​IMG]

2. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I just went & checked on her & she is breathing harder than normal & looks like she doesn't have any life in her. I pushed her beak into the water but nothing. Her eyes are shutting & I doubt she will make it. Holy cow what went wrong. The only thing that comes to mind is an egg is stuck in her but I couldn't feel it.
    I lost one from the original flock that was colored like her from being egg bound I'm not sure about my diagnoses but don't have anything else to go by. I have no idea what to do should I put her down.
    She just seems to be at the end of her life at such a young age. She doesn't seem to be in pain but maybe she is. My O My.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

7L, I had a hen do almost the exact same thing last spring, it was coccidiosis. She showed no signs until the day she acted like you described. She was up and around in the morning, acting ill by noon, she died that evening. I had her in to the vet who confirmed the diagnosis but it was too late to save her.

Coccidiosis is one of those things that can go really, really fast like that. They may feel mildly ill but they hide it until they are almost to the end. You might treat the rest of them with Corid just in case that's what's going on.

4. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Think I'm gonna put her down she is lifeless. Poor thing. Guess, I'll take her body to find out exactly what happened. Lord, sad day at the farm.I have an avian vet here where I live. God, I hate it.

5. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Thanks, I put her down I think thats what got her. She was just about gone when I put her down. I'm gonna take fecal samples to the vet tommorrow & treat accordingly. Again, its a sad day here. Hoping it doesn't affect my 50 other chickens & numerous other birds. What a drag. Lord gave it & lord took it away. God, knows what he's doing so all I can do is whats best for my birds & I know he will guide me through this. I'm crying like you wouldn't believe but I'll get over it. I hatched all my birds &they have a special place in my heart for each & everyone Of them. I can kill wild game no problem even my quail but chickens are a different story. They just get under my skin & I love them there like my kids.

6. JesseK

JesseK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    IA
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry you had to go through this. I'm sure you take great care of your birds. I'm hurting for you

7. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Thanks, I try to. I guess you never know. They were raised on the ground since day one & fed medicated feed. But I'll find out tomorrow exactly what went wrong. Its probably gods way of getting rid of the weak. Who knows?

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Hey 7L Farm! I haven't seen you in a dog's age. Sorry to hear about your pullet. I hope you get to the bottom of what's going on.

9. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I've been wondering about you. Yea, not a good day on the farm. I hate loosing them they mean the world to me.She just got sick & by the time I decided to put her down she was just about gone poor thing. I can't believe I get so attached to them. But I'll roll on what else can I do? Hows it going in your neck of the woods? Not many people stay tuned in these days. Glad, to hear from you the feather pickers are still around I got 7 eggs from them today. 7 out of ten old ladies ain't bad. I now have three flocks. Tell me your story ?

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Well, not much of that feather picking crew left. Between the culls, the predators, and the poor genetics, most of that lot is gone. I got a new roo who is a big old sweetheart. He's a far cry from the unholy terror that I got as a surprise in the feather-picking lot. I also hatched out some new birds from an outside flock. They are gorgeous, but crazy flighty. I have some high hopes for these birds being some good brood stock. I got some new chicks from a hatchery that are growing up nicely. They should be able to join the main flock next month. I had to consolidate my free-range waterfowl and caged flocks recently because of some predator issues. That has made life interesting in the poultry yard. The chickens are convinced that I am punishing them by inflicting a horrible horde of loud, soggy monsters on them. And the waterfowl think I am torturing them by locking them in with a bunch of flying banshees. At least they are all safe, though.

I love your hoop house set-up. My goal is to make some of those next year. I am going to need a rooster bachelor pad and a meatie grow-out pen. I tried to grow out some cockerels in with the main flock this year and that didn't work out so well. There wasn't much fighting, but the noise was unrelenting. How do you like those houses?

How's the rain situation where you are at?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by