Home at last, Mac a parvo survivor

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by walkswithdog, Mar 5, 2009.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Introducing McCarran aka Mac in her debut as a farm dog and house dog. She's eating fairly well and after Naga, I'll take any progress in that regard.

Now she's getting down to the finer points, like the other dogs won't eat her and where the chickens are, and that whole "go outside to go" thing.

Pictures coming as soon as the uploader cooperates.

She's gonna make it and it is good to have her here.

Chere n Mac in the kitchen..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  2. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    GREAT NEWS!!!! GO MAC!!!! [​IMG]

3. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Great news

4. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    aw great news Parvo is scary stuff.

5. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome! She's a QTP2T [​IMG]

6. CHICKEN little 1

CHICKEN little 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    W.V.
    Parvo is an awful desease. If gone untreated they will definately die.The treatment they use to cure it is I beleive is Stricknine which could kill them also.The damage it causes to the heart does not repair. The good news is they can go on to lead a very long productive life. Been there-done that! Through no fault of my own,but of a previous I got the Doberman from.It's been years ago,but still sticks in my mind.GRRRR! [​IMG]

Mac is ONE LUCKY DOG to have someone to care enough to save her.[​IMG]

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quote:The drug/poison you refer to is used as a treatment for heartworm and yes it is dangerous, that's why they must be crated or on leash, for four weeks afterward but it is because an over active dog/pup can throw a Clot of dead worms into the bloodstream. The heart does recover to a good degree in younger dogs. I've fostered and treated several dogs for heartworm since moving to TN.

Parvo is a virus, treated with supportive care and antibiotics and additional drugs for pain and nausea. While it now has about a 90% survival rate if caught and treated, it can do lifelong damage to the intestinal tract. There are two forms, a mild and a stronger form. The second is harder to treat and results in longer term treatment and care. Some dogs who get the milder form of parvo actually do survive without treatment, that's rare. Dogs who get the F strain usually die if untreated.

Neither of those conditions is fun to have a dog with. It's hard on the owner and the dog/puppy. Nevermind the financial ramifications -omg.

I'm just grateful for enough experience to have noticed very early and treated Mac very early for this. Otherwise the result might not have been so good.

Now she's got to learn the whole taming and socialization thing but she'll get there. She's already figuring out the tummy rub thing.

8. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    YAY FOR MAC!!!

9. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh this is great news! Yay! I love her name, and of course, her adorableness.[​IMG]

10. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    YAY!!! Go Mac!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by