Home brew batch might have rooster??

Aug 7, 2020
Hello. About 8-10 days ago one of our broody hens graced us with an unexpected batch. We've had chickens for years with roosters and no babies. This little one is the smallest of our broody of six babies but I think it's a cockerel. None of the other chicks have it and they're all a couple days older. My mom says can't tell till it crows but it just seems unusual that the youngest would be that far ahead in the tail department. I've got dinner riding on this. They're a product of an EE hen and silver laced wyandotte rooster.

Attachments

• IMG_20210726_210148681~2.jpg
    IMG_20210726_210148681~2.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 13
Hello. About 8-10 days ago one of our broody hens graced us with an unexpected batch. We've had chickens for years with roosters and no babies. This little one is the smallest of our broody of six babies but I think it's a cockerel. None of the other chicks have it and they're all a couple days older. My mom says can't tell till it crows but it just seems unusual that the youngest would be that far ahead in the tail department. I've got dinner riding on this. They're a product of an EE hen and silver laced wyandotte rooster.
Are you talking about the tail being longer than then others? I was a little confused by the wording. Tail growth is meaningless at this age. Your dinner bet with your mom will have to wait for another 4-6 weeks or so before you can tell the genders.:)

Are you talking about the tail being longer than then others? I was a little confused by the wording. Tail growth is meaningless at this age. Your dinner bet with your mom will have to wait for another 4-6 weeks or so before you can tell the genders.:)
Thanks. It just seems really unusual. There's so much contradictory info out there and my mom is more familiar with chickens far more than I but the past couple years we've had a few surprises. I appreciate the help. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom