Home Feeding Ideas and Solutions Discussion Thread

Hey everyone,
Our ag class is doing a side by side comparison experiment utilizing cornishX on a home mixed feed and cornishx on a commercial feed. I've looked at mixing my own rations for my own laying flock at home, but I have not quite made the plundge yet. Does anyone have a mix they would recommend to start our day olds with? I've seen many example rations put on here, but I was just wondering if anybody had a quick starter for us to begin with.
Thanks

HI LC, welcome to BYC.

Looking forward to learning the outcome of the testing. The cornishx were designe with the commercial feeds, so I"m not expecting to see muchof a difference. WIll be interested in knowing if the birds eat more of the feed and conseqently will grow faster-- but that is just an educated guess based on how my birds gorge themselfves on real seed materia and grains even if they have just eaten commercial feed. Somehow they always have more room for the oats and corn and bird seed that I toss out. WHat is the prtien source in the homemade mix-- any idea??

I have not taken the plunge into mixing my own, for a number of reasons, but have scoped out the many formulations. The botom line is that everyone makes a mix based on what sources are available locally and easily. THis is what every farmer would have done in the past. Prtein is the most limiting nutrient. MEaning it is the one that effects growth the most and is the most expense and hardest to provide. Animal protein is always a good thing. THe purdue ads on TV try to dis the use of animal proteins but it is a very good ingredient in your mix if you can find one.

What do you have available for feed stuffs to work with??

I've looked some more on some home feeding pages, as well as in our local farm store. I think we will make a mix utilizing corn, oats, black oil sunflower seeds, barley, milo, and farmers helper ultra kibble (which is a fish meal based protein source along with some soybean meal). We plan to lacto ferment this mix along with some kelp meal, for minerals.

I've looked some more on some home feeding pages, as well as in our local farm store. I think we will make a mix utilizing corn, oats, black oil sunflower seeds, barley, milo, and farmers helper ultra kibble (which is a fish meal based protein source along with some soybean meal). We plan to lacto ferment this mix along with some kelp meal, for minerals.
WIll you be fermenting the kibble?? My uneducated thought is that the protein is very expensive and you would decrease the protein content. What does your resseach indicate??

Back
Top Bottom