Home Feeding Ideas and Solutions Discussion Thread

Have not read every page on this thread, but thought I would give my two cents worth on Alfalfa hay. I noticed my free range hens were scratching around in the alfalfa that we feed our horses, so now they get a flake in their coop once or twice a week. Alfalfa hay is usually around 14% to 16% protein, and they love pecking it apart.

ETA Third or fourth cutting is best, has lots of leaf!

Last edited:
I calculated today that a 1.5lb loaf of homemade bread would cost 19 cents a pound to make. If you just used water, oil flour and yeast. Bake one a day and this would be a pretty big supplement.

If your lucky and have acorn trees you can get that cost down to 2 cents a pound. Cost is only oil, yeast and electric. With the acorns, all you would need to do it dry them and grind up shell and all. Maybe not even need to dry them. Gunna try it and see.

Any thoughts?

Have not read every page on this thread, but thought I would give my two cents worth on Alfalfa hay. I noticed my free range hens were scratching around in the alfalfa that we feed our horses, so now they get a flake in their coop once or twice a week. Alfalfa hay is usually around 14% to 16% protein, and they love pecking it apart.

ETA Third or fourth cutting is best, has lots of leaf!
During the Winter months when greens are not readily available I grind our horses' alfalfa pellets and add it into my chicken's feed (along with the ground flax) and they seem to love it! I figure it gives them something green when the grass isn't available.

Angela

I will have to try the pellets, thanks for the idea!!! I have tiried soaking alfalfa pellets, but they are not very interested, I think grinding them would be better..........
My chickens don't like the alfalfa pellets either. I think it has something to do with the processing. I've reconstituted them and mixed them in with their fermented feed. They always manage to not eat them.

I tried, upon someone's suggestion, the alfalfa cubes. I reconstitute these and mix into their fermented feed and they LOVE IT! They clean it all up. Reconstituting (soaking in water) softens it enough to where it doesn't cause any crop impaction issues. I'm thrilled that they will eat it this way.

I don't know how they would take the yeast. I've heard its not a good thing. Or is that unbaked yeast?
No, not the kind of yeast you buy to make bread with. I'd read brewer's yeast, but then I read somewhere else it should be cultured, live yeast. This took some researching, but I finally found what I was looking for. The company that makes the yeast I buy is called Diamond V. http://www.diamondv.com/languages/en/products-non-gmo/ It's hard to find because it's not really distributed to storefronts, mostly to feed manufacturers. It's also mega-expensive, especially since it's only available in 50# bags or something. I found it on ebay, though, sold by a couple of people who package it into different size bags--makes it much more cost-effective. And you only need a teeny tiny bit so a 3 or 5# bag will last a while.

Back
Top Bottom