Home Feeding Ideas and Solutions Discussion Thread

Another thought. There's been some talk of the notion of COMPLETELY replacing storebought feed. And we know that in theory it's possible, and even how we might, in theory, do it. But I'm curious if anyone has actually managed to do this for any length of time? A lot of us, including myself, have significantly reduced our consumption. And of course anything that works for people and helps is great whatever you feed! And it's to be expected that not everyone would even want to or be able to do completely without anyway, depending on the circumstances. but I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has completely weened themselves, just for the sake of the learning experience--if such people still exist in these strange times...
pop.gif

I am not sure if I understand your question. Are you asking if someone doesn't buy the pre-mixed crumbles, pellets etc. and only feed grains they can get from the feed store? OR are you asking if someone is growing all there grains for feed?

I not sure if this is what you are asking
hu.gif
But.......

I do not have the land to grow enough feed for my girls. If I did I would. for them and us.

I also do not buy any pre-made/pre-ground feed from TSC or my feed mill. But I do buy Whole grains from my feed mill and plan on feeding totally whole grains with free range and sprouting grains in the winter. Plus what ever left overs from the garden/kitchen.

My pullets are 7 weeks old and I have been grinding there feed. I have been increasing the size of the grain pieces slowly.
They are almost to the point they will be getting just whole grains. I do throw in some meat scraps now and again also.

I haven't lost a one.......yet
fl.gif

Is this wrong?

I'm still on the look out for the chicken breed for me, but let's see what I remember from when my grand parents had them...

I have to add, though that my gramps had a biiig garden and a plot of land that he was cultivating for family members that were older and not able to take of their field (small field + Orchard).
wee.gif

So, we mainly fed leftover bread and edible plants. I think they also bought whole grains, but never pellets or similar things. I don't think they gave extra worms. The chickens just took what was in the ground. Sometimes there would be a bit of leftover vegs, like apple peel. Mainly they'd get whatever was leftover from the pigs and wasn't for carnivores. The chickens always seemed happy and active.

My grandparents had a very laissez fair attitude in feeding
big_smile.png

I am not sure if I understand your question. Are you asking if someone doesn't buy the pre-mixed crumbles, pellets etc. and only feed grains they can get from the feed store? OR are you asking if someone is growing all there grains for feed?

I not sure if this is what you are asking
hu.gif
But.......

I do not have the land to grow enough feed for my girls. If I did I would. for them and us.

I also do not buy any pre-made/pre-ground feed from TSC or my feed mill. But I do buy Whole grains from my feed mill and plan on feeding totally whole grains with free range and sprouting grains in the winter. Plus what ever left overs from the garden/kitchen.

My pullets are 7 weeks old and I have been grinding there feed. I have been increasing the size of the grain pieces slowly.
They are almost to the point they will be getting just whole grains. I do throw in some meat scraps now and again also.

I haven't lost a one.......yet
fl.gif

Is this wrong?

Relax! It wasn't a test!
smile.png
There's no single "right answer!"

But to clarify, since you asked, I guess I was talking about feeding chickens without buying anything especially to feed them, whether mixed purpose-designed feed or anything else. Leftovers and things you get for free wouldn't count. Obviously things you grow yourself (whether in a window box or on ten acres) wouldn't count.

And I never said anything about "grains," either. Chickens can eat mangels, sweetpotatoes, potatoes, squash, cassava, taro, breadfruit, nuts, fruit of all kinds. Grains aren't the only source of calories in the world. Besides I figured we had pretty much acknowledged earlier in the thread that grains were generally not the most scalable option anyway and of little use for anyone (for home-grown feed) without a large amount of arable land with agreeable seasonal conditions and special machinery or lots of hand labor. That includes most of us on here, so I always like to encourage people to think outside the "grain box" on home-feeding options.

And why would that be "wrong," Farmchick? Sounds like a solid diet to me!

I'm still on the look out for the chicken breed for me, but let's see what I remember from when my grand parents had them...

I have to add, though that my gramps had a biiig garden and a plot of land that he was cultivating for family members that were older and not able to take of their field (small field + Orchard).
wee.gif

So, we mainly fed leftover bread and edible plants. I think they also bought whole grains, but never pellets or similar things. I don't think they gave extra worms. The chickens just took what was in the ground. Sometimes there would be a bit of leftover vegs, like apple peel. Mainly they'd get whatever was leftover from the pigs and wasn't for carnivores. The chickens always seemed happy and active.

My grandparents had a very laissez fair attitude in feeding
big_smile.png

That's great! Sounds like what I would imagine would have been a fairly typical old-time scenario...

I guess I an still a little nervous about feeding them my recipe. This is my first batch of chickens I am doing this with.

Baby steps I guess.
smile.png

Without purchasing "just" for them then.... I guess that leaves me out.....not sure I would have enough food
scrap left from dinners, lunch....garden....etc....

I have 40. LOL

I guess I an still a little nervous about feeding them my recipe. This is my first batch of chickens I am doing this with.

Baby steps I guess.
smile.png

Without purchasing "just" for them then.... I guess that leaves me out.....not sure I would have enough food
scrap left from dinners, lunch....garden....etc....

I have 40. LOL

Yes, that's the problem with a lot of these homefeeding ideas. They often don't scale up very well. 10 chickens is easy, 40 is one thing, but when you get up to 100+ things like homegrown feed mixes and cooking things and such start to become a little unwieldy. Hence the popularity of grain-based feed I suppose--it's storable, portable, edible raw. Unfortunately it's often expensive in small quantities and/or not available locally. But the beauty of it is that there's no reason to hew to a "one size fits all" approach. Even on a commercial scale, too. There's no sense to that! It's about being practical and farsighted and figuring out what makes sense according to scale and local region, and finally, unique circumstance, because not everyone is raising fowl for the same reasons or has the same resources. It's as silly to use a backhoe to plant a tomato as it is to use a shovel to dig a swimming pool--if you get my drift...
wink.png

SO keep the ideas comin'!
jumpy.gif

Speaking of appropriate feeding methods on the commercial scale, I was unable to follow up on or confirm this but I read in Harvey Ussery's book about a company called Vermont Composting that kept a flock of laying hens fed nothing but what they could find for themselves in and around the giant compost piles, which of course is lots and lots of bugs, mainly. And the company sells the eggs as a side business, at what one assumes must thus be virtually 100% profit. And what tasty eggs they must be! Now there's the sort of clever and resourceful localized approach we'd like to see more of!
bow.gif

I am new to keeping chickens, I helped my parents as a young kid, but am just starting my own flock. I have 10 Pearl White Leghorns, 5 Red Stars, and 5 Arucana chicks (chicks are seperated for now). I am currently giving free choice and have a 15 lb (I think) feeder and fill it every two days. You said you feed 6 lbs each day, how many chickens do you have? By the way I love this site, it has been very helpful in starting to keep chickens. Thanks to everyone who posts such helpful information for us beginners.

There is so much in this thread, such good info. Thank you all for sharing.

Question: Does anyone know about buying soybean meal to feed the chickens and/or mix in a home mix? I understand soybeans need to be roasted for chickens. Is all soybean meal roasted, or does it matter? I have my first chickens and started out mixing their feed because I choose to avoid wheat; I have celiac disease and it is just easier for me to avoid wheat altogether, don't have to worry about accidently poisoning myself. :) Chicks and I are doing well. I'm still researching and studying the matter. The basic ingredients in the Purina Rise and Shine feed are corn and soybean meal. My feed store does not sell the soybean meal and could provide little info. My research indicates that the trend is away from soybeans for chickens (for anything), moving to feed peas, but I have no access to feed peas, either. Been using dried split peas and lentils, but the chicks are too small to yet eat them, and I'm tired of grinding.

Yes, that's the problem with a lot of these home feeding ideas. They often don't scale up very well. 10 chickens is easy, 40 is one thing, but when you get up to 100+ things like homegrown feed mixes and cooking things and such start to become a little unwieldy. Hence the popularity of grain-based feed I suppose--it's storable, portable, edible raw. Unfortunately it's often expensive in small quantities and/or not available locally. But the beauty of it is that there's no reason to hew to a "one size fits all" approach. Even on a commercial scale, too. There's no sense to that! It's about being practical and farsighted and figuring out what makes sense according to scale and local region, and finally, unique circumstance, because not everyone is raising fowl for the same reasons or has the same resources. It's as silly to use a backhoe to plant a tomato as it is to use a shovel to dig a swimming pool--if you get my drift...
wink.png

SO keep the ideas comin'!
jumpy.gif

Speaking of appropriate feeding methods on the commercial scale, I was unable to follow up on or confirm this but I read in Harvey Ussery's book about a company called Vermont Composting that kept a flock of laying hens fed nothing but what they could find for themselves in and around the giant compost piles, which of course is lots and lots of bugs, mainly. And the company sells the eggs as a side business, at what one assumes must thus be virtually 100% profit. And what tasty eggs they must be! Now there's the sort of clever and resourceful localized approach we'd like to see more of!
bow.gif

Well...My DH always is a thinker when it comes to "bringing home the bacon" So this was/is (not sure if we still can do this.... do to the econ right now) in the plans for us.

We would like to set up a green house and sell veggies. We would also sell the eggs. The balance would come from large enough green house with appropriate amount of chickens for this to work.

The "waste" would then be used to feed the chickens and the "extra's" (what the chickens didn't eat) would then be composted which would also bring in beneficial (worms/bugs) for the chickens.

Even though you are feeding your chickens just the "scrap's.....the eggs really wouldn't be "pure" profit....labor, packaging and delivery needs are always a factor. just my IMO.

Back
Top Bottom