Home Feeding Ideas and Solutions Discussion Thread

Can you tell I have a lot of time on my hands lately? It's too hot outside to do anything else but think and plan and think some more.

I have an idea and wanted to run it by you guys to see if you have any thoughts on the matter.

Instead of a little kiddie pool that is about 12" deep, I was thinking about doing an in-ground pool but I can't afford one so here's where my imagination kicks in...

Dig a hole that has a fairly pleasant shape and is about 2 feet deep, or a little more at least in part of it. Lay some old carpeting in the bottom for padding and then get some really heavy duty vinyl to put on top of that. I would use rocks and whatnot to secure the outside edge so it wouldn't get below the water level.

I think I have a little submersible water pump left over from when I had an aquarium that I could use to make a sort of fountain so the water is oxygenated... add feeder goldfish and some duckweed and presto... I have a feed supply in a month or so?

Any ideas or feedback... please let me know.

edited to add:

I definitely want dragon flies to do their thing so is there anything that they need in order to be successful? (other than just water)? We have lots of mosquitoes here and I want the dragon flies to flourish.
I've been mulling over a very similar idea for a little while now, only I intended to go deeper then the 2 feet to keep the water temps more stable winter and summer, and less bird (wild bird) predation on my fishes. Not sure how long the plastic would last b/c I wouldn't be able to afford the real "pond liner" stuff.

You would think the minnows would have eaten the dragon fly larvae before they got big enough to turn the tables on them!  :/

I don't mean little swimming things. These guys are the size of large crickets and very, very aggressive hunters. I've sat quietly by the pond and watched closely. They're vicious!

Edit: I know what you're saying though. The problem is that the vicious things are already big, so I need to add something big enough to last the first generation.

Last edited:
How about mice? I was struck with a thought last night... as I have mice... couldn't I raise the little buggers, several pairs and let them do their thing and then feed all the babies to my chickens while they're still pink or barely furry?
Yes you could definately raise pinkies for that, I've never looked into it to see what kind of set up and food requirements

At what point in this process is it safe to add the goldfish?
After the shrimp are gone, 3- to 6 weeks, or you can check with the ammonia test strip. Yes, there are feeder gold fish and you will certainty putting them into a unfriendly environment. Because these fish are hardy-- should you expose them to the rigors of the ammonia cycle? Doesn't seem humane to me, it's like visiting a plant without enough oxygen--just enough to leave you gasping. If you have no added clormines in your water you will save the expense of adding a DE- clorinator, just add it at water changes or top offs, clorine dissipates after 24 hours in a open container. You can add several layers of wet newspaper under the liner for your pond, it will conform to the shape you pick and dry extremely hard, never tried carpet. Your pump will cut down on mosquito larva and add oxygen to the pond, which you lose during exteme hot weather.

tarp/or black plastic are not the right choice for this, how about check craigs list for a used pond form? or you can use a old bathtub, kiddy pool, or almost anything water tight. if it's above ground you'll have to move the fish indoors in the winter, or feed them to the chickens.

Last edited:
tarp/or black plastic are not the right choice for this, how about check craigs list for a used pond form? or you can use a old bathtub, kiddy pool, or almost anything water tight. if it's above ground you'll have to move the fish indoors in the winter, or feed them to the chickens.

I was thinking I would put down carpet, then a couple layers of black plastic and then a UV resistant white tarp on top of all that. I had one of those white tarp "carports" once and they hold water very well. In fact, they held it so well that the frame buckled one night after we got a surprise 2' of snow! The first tarp, held rainwater very well too. But you don't think it would work? I would use the white tarp because of how hot it gets here. White would not draw heat from the sun.

I don't have chlorine in my water. I have well water.

I was looking at fish online yesterday and I think I've decided against goldfish. I'm thinking I'll get rosy red fathead minnows. They only live about 14 months and only get up to 3" long and they can have 3 sets of baby minnows in that time. So, they multiply quickly, are very hardy and disease resistant and very cheap to buy. These fish like their water at 50 - 70 degrees.

I have left a white bucket of water out in the sun today so I can find out how hot it gets. Although today is not as hot as it has been. I'll find out what it gets to.

Officially everywhere I read all say you can't use plastic tarps like those, but I have been unclear on why. Whether it is a matter that they wouldn't hold up for long before loosing their ability to hold water, or if there is some reason the plastic itself is dangerous to fish????? The cost difference sure is tempting to try though. I have priced the regular pond liner stuff and it is just not even an option for my shoestring budget. I will likely give it a try, even if it doesn't last a looooong time, maybe it will last long enough that my budget would be better able to fit the real pond liner by that time.

I thought I saw a put dug and normal concrete in and plastic to flatten it and draw it up the sides of the pit... they used bricks or something and didn't step in... once cured they removed the plastic... and did 2 inch water test- plugged holes and kept going till it was filled.

took ...months... but then again... it was just like they wanted it.

here's another one for irrigation, mush larger then necessary.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1978-07-01/Build-A-Concrete-Backyard-Pond.aspx

Back
Top Bottom