Home Feeding Ideas and Solutions Discussion Thread

some god points that I passed over. Perennials? Are those plants that come back every year?(I'm no expert in these things) 'Cause I was thinking.....Are there any plants/grains that are good for feeding chickens that will come back every year without reseeding? Also, I was thinking about planting fruits like blueberries, bush cherries, grapes, rasp/black berries ect. for them to be able to add to their feed in take or even the human harvest and add to their feed, either way. And small things like those mentioned might even be good to plant in a run with a cage around them
roll.png

Yes, perennials don't have to be replanted. I planted figs, blueberries, and plums last year, and a bunch of comfrey this year.

Instead of thinking strictly in terms of growing a bunch of stuff to harvest and make into chicken feed, I like to let the chickens do most of the work. They turn my compost piles in the process of looking for bugs and other goodies, eat bugs and weeds around the garden fence, as well as inside the garden, one section at a time. I've found that they'll browse some of the cover crops, like field peas and buckwheat, without eating so much that they kill the plants. Fruit and veg culls go to them, as well. So a certain percentage of their food is a byproduct of something I'd be doing anyway.

It's a win/win, and less work than it sounds like. It does take up a lot of space, and wouldn't fly in an area with a Spanish Inquistion-style HOA.

About the ponds and fish, (and I've only read the last three pages of this thread) I would think that you could use a bath tub buried in the ground? And are there any fish that would reproduce very fast, are hardy and don't need an aerator, filter or heater? interesting topic....
Thanks,
IMO an aerator is a necessity when keeping fish in a small pond. I've caught a few fish while collecting duckweed and kept them in a temporary holding area while my pond is being finished. Even though I was positive the oxygen level of the water was sufficient I believe the build up of chemicals that were not being released by moving water is what killed the fish. I do have very hard water so if it's left standing it crusts out.

About the ponds and fish, (and I've only read the last three pages of this thread) I would think that you could use a bath tub buried in the ground? And are there any fish that would reproduce very fast, are hardy and don't need an aerator, filter or heater? interesting topic....
Thanks,
Gold fish and Koi if water is 2 feet deep or more for frozen winter weather and hot summer.

I just ordered some Duckweed to plant in our pond. Oh wait, I don't have a pond. I guess my wife is going to jump with joy when I tell her that I'm going to build her a pond to put $12 worth of plants in it for the chickens. LOL
I would be thrilled if my husband built me one even for duck weed!!.

I would make certain that any duckweed collected is from a pond that hasn't been contaminated. Do you know for certain that the public trails are pesticide free?
True but wouldnt the duck weed after being taken home and washed then put in your pond lose any poison from its system (like bought veggies) especally if you are going to grow it a while to get more before you feed. it..?Just wonder.

If you build a pond by the way......... duck weed will come.I had tons all over my little pond until dried up with this years summer drought..now that its gone , i can use it for my chickens! Figures.
Was netting it out all the time and throwing it on my lawn and still it came back in days .

Can you tell I have a lot of time on my hands lately? It's too hot outside to do anything else but think and plan and think some more.

I have an idea and wanted to run it by you guys to see if you have any thoughts on the matter.

Instead of a little kiddie pool that is about 12" deep, I was thinking about doing an in-ground pool but I can't afford one so here's where my imagination kicks in...

Dig a hole that has a fairly pleasant shape and is about 2 feet deep, or a little more at least in part of it. Lay some old carpeting in the bottom for padding and then get some really heavy duty vinyl to put on top of that. I would use rocks and whatnot to secure the outside edge so it wouldn't get below the water level.

I think I have a little submersible water pump left over from when I had an aquarium that I could use to make a sort of fountain so the water is oxygenated... add feeder goldfish and some duckweed and presto... I have a feed supply in a month or so?

Any ideas or feedback... please let me know.

edited to add:

I definitely want dragon flies to do their thing so is there anything that they need in order to be successful? (other than just water)? We have lots of mosquitoes here and I want the dragon flies to flourish.
My son dug a pond like this for me it was done in daysdays time Hours actually ... if the grund isnt too hard.. The rubber lining come in different sizes and thicknesses (Home Depot among others) but cost isnt too bad Maybe $30-$50. for a smallish pond Mine was 6' by 4' Pretty too Added flat stepping stone rocks on the edge over the rubber ..Walla pretty pond.
Did need a small pump to keep it clean ariated but if you just want to grow pond scum and mosquitoes ... dont need the airiation. let it sit...

I have an excellent way to attract bugs for my chickens. Our barn is full of really ancient horse poo. So hard that I couldn't dig it out with our tractor. It's layers of poo and hay and it's turned pretty much to dirt. I'm finding the hay grows when it's kept wet. Thanks to the ducks temporary sheltering with the chickens the ground is really wet. Now I go out and move the water container to a different spot every day. Underneath it are tons of insects and sprouting hay. Chickens go nuts for it! Lately I've been finding a lot of ovalish bright red bug eggs. No idea what they are but they really like that wet dirt and the chickens really like them.

I have several breed breeding groups and have found that small sunflower seeds and small grain cat food are great additives for my layers or molting chickens.

I also cut grass for all of my chicks and chickens, and anything out of the garden including squash, pickles !!!! (wyandottes go crazy for pickles), tomatoes, watermelon, ect, even if it's a bit past ripe -in the pens and down the gullets! Plus, tomatoes are great for hydration in this TX heat!

Don't forget fresh horse manure... enzymes for digestion, and larva and half used grains. I put this in my runs and the chickens scratch through it in minutes- keeps my flies down and also keeps the pens impeccably clean- just clean byproduct. This is also a great way to take care of mud. After all of the edible bits are taken, they use it for a good roll.

Hope this helps a bit, Great discussion thread...

Back
Top Bottom