Home Feeding Ideas and Solutions Discussion Thread

My roo goes free range all day after getting a serving of FF feed each morning all he will eat in one go. I planted collards, lettuce, and beets in the veg garden late summer so they will be available to him in fall. He gets his fill every day. The collards are now gone (his favorite) and he is working over the last of the beet greens. Apples falling off the tree are another of his favorites and they are also near gone. We've had a lot of rain and wind recently.

He is finishing up a hard moult. I put out a bowl with a slice of rusk-ed 100% whole wheat bread soaked in just enough buttermilk to saturate it. He gets it once a day until feathers are in for the winter.
I got a pumpkin at the close out sale at the local fruit/veggie stand for two bucks and have it in the garage to go through the freeze thaw cycle this winter.
In two weeks I'll be picking up four RIR production pullets. They will go onto the same diet. My feed bill is very small. I've been feeding out of the same bag of poultry feed for a while. About a cup of day into the FF. The bulk of my roos diet is home grown, foraged, or produced from the pantry.
The winters here in the PNW are so wet that once green stuff stops growing I will use coupons to pick up bags of romaine to get greens into him at little cost. I put the lettuce head in a couple inches of water in a bucket and put it in a corner of the coop. Free choice when he needs it during the cold months. I won't spend a lot of $ on this sort of greens. Only until the spring arrives and the foraging gets better and the greens are coming up in the garden.

Wow! What a lucky boy! Is he the only one you have?
Yes. I bred, raised, and had show quality bantams and LF many years ago but my barns have been vacant after my four children left home. I rescued my roo a year ago. He and two other cockerels were abandoned in a large field. He and I are buddies. He follows me everywhere.

In two weeks he will see other chickens for the first time in a year. His first introduction to the ladies. Four pullets are coming my way. He will finally learn what being a rooster is all about.

You probably know this already but I'll say it anyway... just in case.

Sometimes a rooster can be super aggressive when new birds come on the place. Sometimes they don't take the time to see that they are girls and he promptly beats them up.

Maybe you should be ready to introduce them through a fenced pen so he can see them for a little while before he's actually allowed to make contact. Give him time to see that they are girls and them time to see what's waiting for them on the outside!
wink.png

You probably know this already but I'll say it anyway... just in case.

Sometimes a rooster can be super aggressive when new birds come on the place. Sometimes they don't take the time to see that they are girls and he promptly beats them up.

Maybe you should be ready to introduce them through a fenced pen so he can see them for a little while before he's actually allowed to make contact. Give him time to see that they are girls and them time to see what's waiting for them on the outside!
wink.png
You are absolutely right. These pullets may not be sexually mature as well. They will first go into a quarantine pen so that I can observe their individual health and condition. They will go on the FF and romaine lettuce, and UP/ACV first day. I'll band each pullet with a different color, dust them with wood ash, and check their bottoms thoroughly. Johnny is housed on the opposite side of the orchard. He will be able to hear them and they him.
My old barn is set up with six individual pens. When I am convinced the new girlie's are healthy, they go into the barn in a pen side by side next to Johnny. They will get to know each other for a few days. I definately don't want any young pullets beat on but roosters are aggressive in their sexual advance. It's the nature of the beast. I will be watching them all closely.
Four hens to one roo will be enough of a small flock to keep him busy for awhile. He has not seen another chicken in a year and a half. It will be interesting.

That sounds perfect!

I really like your ideas for green feed. I need to find a bucket that a romaine will fit into and then find a place to put it so it won't get tipped over. My goofy birds would likely put their foot on the edge, just because, and over it would go. No more nice and clean lettuce or floor!

That sounds perfect!

I really like your ideas for green feed. I need to find a bucket that a romaine will fit into and then find a place to put it so it won't get tipped over. My goofy birds would likely put their foot on the edge, just because, and over it would go. No more nice and clean lettuce or floor!
Easy fix. I use a cheap little pail from the paint department in the hardware store with a bale. A simple little cup hook screwed into the wall holds the bale. No tippy bucket.

I use this simple setup during the winter when the weather is dirty and he can't go outdoors to forage or when I'm away and he is confined for a few days time. I have pulled up plants roots and all from the garden and kept them fresh this way or like now with winter coming on I put a cheap head of something in the bucket for him to nibble at when he feels the need. Romaine was on a coupon for $.50 a head. Just a few inches water in the bottom is all that is required. The cup hook holds the bale. I would be cautious about using this in a coop with small chicks. Wouldn't want to find one drowned.

Wow! You are a whiz!

I need to say this... it looks like he's wearing a zip tie for a leg band? It looks really tight to me. I enlarged the picture so I could see better and it still looks really tight.

If that is the case, you need to take out some fingernail clippers and cut that thing off of him before it damages the tendons in his leg.

Wow! You are a whiz!

I need to say this... it looks like he's wearing a zip tie for a leg band? It looks really tight to me. I enlarged the picture so I could see better and it still looks really tight.

If that is the case, you need to take out some fingernail clippers and cut that thing off of him before it damages the tendons in his leg.
It looks tight but I check it every day. I can move it completely around his leg. Just did this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom