Home for an orphan Silkie

Mugwump87

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2018
Hi, I joined this forum mainly to find a home for a little Splash Silkie hen that we rescued from a bad situation. We live on a few acres in Southeast Iowa. Our neighbor, a business man who loves all animals thought it would be fun to add a Splash Silkie hen to his chicken coop. One day, I heard a commotion in the coup and found the other chickens trying to kill the little hen. The three attacking her had pulled out the feathers on her back and had her all bloody. One big red chicken actually picked up the Silkie by her back and slung her against the side of the pen. I know she would have been dead by evening so, with the permission of her owner, I rescued her and brought her home to our house, treated her wounds, trimmed the feathers around her eyes so she could see better and named her Tink (short for Tinkerbell). We have her in a 3 ft. by 2 ft. pen on our closed-in back porch. She has a box of straw in there and a perch low enough that she can jump up on it to roost. She spends the day following my wife around outside, helping her to plant flowers and pull weeds. She loves to be held and will go to sleep if you hold her. But the Silkie, who is about 14 months old, is lonely and needs some companionship. We have no chicken coop or facilities suitable for a chickens, especially during the winter, so we have to find a good, safe, home for her where she will be loved and not killed or injured by man or beast. About a month ago, she laid six eggs a day or two apart but none since then.

I'm sure she is not show quality but we don't care. My wife and I are not show quality either. She is a sweet little thing and needs a decent home where someone will take care of her. I am 87 and my wife is 84 so Tink will likely be around a lot longer than we will. If you have any idea where we can find her a good home, please let us know. I'll put her in the car and drive her anywhere (within reason) I need to go. We wouldn't want her to end up on someone's table for dinner. If you know of someone who would like to care for a friendly little hen, I’ll deliver her to their door. I have written to the Garry farm in Georgia and to the Wheel of Fortune farm but no one bothered to answer from either place. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I can email photos to anyone who might be interested. Thank you for reading this. Ken

Last edited:
Maryland too far though I'd be willing since she could keep my bantam company. But try posting this in the rehoming forum
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing.16182/
and the Iowa thread of the Where am I where are you forum. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/where-am-i-where-are-you.26/
Thanks, Boonie, for the reply. I am new here and have no idea how to do things but I think I just posted a message on the re-homing forum. Thanks again, Kenny

I may know someone! A friend of mine just moved to Iowa to start a homestead and she’s been looking for Silkies!
We would want Tink to be with other Silkies, not with larger chickens where she might get hurt again. Also, Silkies need someone who is willing to trim the feathers around their eyes so that they can see, etc. etc. She needs a safe home.

Back
Top Bottom