Home-Grown no-corn and no-soy layer feed

mendozer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle
Any experience with this?

I've been using Elenbaas pellets with good success. It's got corn (eek!) but no soy. It's plant proteins are canola and alfalfa meal. It even has a tint of green in the pellets. I was using scratch & peck because I liked the natural feed without corn and soy but they made such a mess picking out what they wanted, so i went to pellets.

Today I saw a new bag at the store called Home-Grown layer by Country Acres Feed Company. It's no corn and soy in crumble. I was concerned about crumble's mess, but figured since all the crumbles are brown (not whole grain selection) my hens wouldn't be picky and just eat it all.

Anyone use this?

ingredients: wheat middlings, ground wheat, canola meal, calcium carbonate, sun cured alfalfa, cane molasses, salt, then vitamins and minerals.

It has slightly different levels than Elenbaas (post #7). fat and fiber are a bit higher and phosphorous and methionine are a bit lower. everything else matches up

I've been using this feed for the past couple months and I've been very happy with it. According to the lady at the feed store, it's made with Washington state wheat, which by law is supposed to be non-GMO. It's not on the label because it's not CERTIFIED non -GMO. Soooo...take it for what it's worth. Like I said, I'm happy with the results so far.....more eggs, bigger eggs, the girls seem to like it. Plus, at $16.00 a bag, it's not breaking the bank.

That formula is very high in fiber, and very low in energy. Chickens are energy eaters. Your chickens will eat more of this feed, in order to produce the same as a better diet. To be honest, I would try to find a feed with a minimum of 3% Crude fat, a maximum of 7% Crude fiber, and Wheat as the first ingredient (Being as you want corn-free). Stay away from chicken feeds that have have "Wheat Middlings" as the first ingredient. They will be cheaper, but they will not offset the cost of higher consumption rates...... A high performing chicken feed, will always have a high energy ingredient, as the first listed. This feed, has an ingredient, that is one of the lowest in energy.

Anyone else using this feed & what are you paying? My local Purina dealer just told me they got it in, as he knows I prefer to not feed soy. He was saying about it not being GMO, however it does have canola meal, so it still has GMOs. The only good thing is that I have read that canola can only be used at 10% or less for layers, so it would be "less" GMO than a regular soy or corn feed. I wouldn't mind trying it, but the price is high, $20.99 a bag. Layena was less time I looked. Agway Hearty Hen is around $16, but that is loaded with corn, so I don't know how they compare.

I just bought 2 bags of Home Grown No soy No corn. I will see how it goes, but it only has wheat flour, Alfalfa, Wheat Germ, Linseed meal & Peanut Hulls as ingredients, no canola. I'm not thrilled with the peanut hulls, but will see how they like it. It would be fine if it was a cheaper feed, but here it is not. I'll feed the two bags and see what happens.

Cindy, how did you like the Home Grown compared to the non soy feed you get from the guy on mud rd?

Cindy, how did you like the Home Grown compared to the non soy feed you get from the guy on mud rd?

I only used the 2 bags and switched back to organic with soy. They did OK, but the price was too high for a food with peanut hulls in it, as I could find no reference to it having any real food value. If you pay less than I did (20.99) then I would give it a try. I did think the yolks were pretty pale even with the alfalfa & I assume it was because of all the wheat ingredients. If it was a cheaper feed, I would have tried it longer.

Thanks Cindy. I only have 2 chickens at this time so I think I'll give it a try. I noticed that they have it at Olley valley feed. Is that where you got yours?

Thanks Cindy. I only have 2 chickens at this time so I think I'll give it a try. I noticed that they have it at Olley valley feed. Is that where you got yours?

Yes, I got it at Oley Valley Feed. Seems all the feed alternatives here are more expensive than other places. The Nature's Best Organic can be found in other places in the country for less than I pay & yet it is a PA feed company! I understood that Home Grown was a cheaper alternative to Layena, but obviously not here! Good luck with the feed.

That formula is very high in fiber, and very low in energy. Chickens are energy eaters. Your chickens will eat more of this feed, in order to produce the same as a better diet. To be honest, I would try to find a feed with a minimum of 3% Crude fat, a maximum of 7% Crude fiber, and Wheat as the first ingredient (Being as you want corn-free). Stay away from chicken feeds that have have "Wheat Middlings" as the first ingredient. They will be cheaper, but they will not offset the cost of higher consumption rates...... A high performing chicken feed, will always have a high energy ingredient, as the first listed. This feed, has an ingredient, that is one of the lowest in energy.
I have been feeding this for the past few months and my chickens love it. And yes, they are going through it faster but are laying more eggs. What would you recommend in place of this? My chicken have always been picky eaters but really like this feed, but I want them to be healthy most of all.

Back
Top Bottom