home grown spaghetti squash

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lovemelovemybirds, Sep 20, 2010.

1. lovemelovemybirds

lovemelovemybirds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Grand Junction
    first year ever growing them...they are going crazy!! Question is this: Do ya leave um on the vine? or take them off to yellow? Then..how yellow do they get.. I mean.....how do you tell when they're ready? Thanks...guys!!

2. xyresicchick

xyresicchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Providence, RI
    pick one when it looks like the picture from the seed packet! if it tastes funny.... wait longer next time! and don't forget to save seeds for next year! [​IMG]

-April [​IMG]

3. lovemelovemybirds

Apr 28, 2010
    Grand Junction
    I like it!!! But I don't have a seed packet...we bought the little bugger as a seedling. The one we ate was not right...so.....I guess when they're really really yellow with no green/pale shades at all..huh? Sounds good anyway..LOL!!

4. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    IMHO, the one year I did them and they grew like zucchini, was best picked as late in the season as can. When the shell is tough and hard, before frost or the critters start eating them. Haven't been able to grow squash of any kind for several years due to bugs eating the plants before even get started. [​IMG] Lucky You!

They microwave very well. I split the squash in half, scrape out the seeds, set cut side down in a plate with a little water and zap on high until tender. Then fork out the stringies, yum!

5. lovemelovemybirds

Apr 28, 2010
    Grand Junction
    Thanks for your input!!! Yeah.. we love them from the store so we thought we'd give them a whirl. They are everywhere!! We have them in an area with lots of Sun and sandy soil...but there is evidence that a chicken or two have hopped the fence.....they pecked at the pumpins too...but all are salvageable at the moment. The tomatoes in the back yard did not share the same fate however...hens ate them all.[​IMG]

6. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

We grew them last year & they went NUTS! The ones we left on the vine a little longer did well, but we did have some still on the vine late in the season & the vine began to wilt so we picked those & brought them inside. They finished ripening in the kitchen & were as good as the rest of them! We had 2 plants and netted 5 large fruits and 6 small ones last year. I saved seeds but never got around to planting them this year & now it's too late.

7. lovemelovemybirds

Apr 28, 2010
    Grand Junction
    It never really occured to me to save the seeds!!! I always gather all that stuff up and toss it to the hens!!! I really like the idea though....and so they will ripen off the vine to edible standards..thank you...thank you very much!!

8. xyresicchick

xyresicchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Providence, RI
  9. lovemelovemybirds

Apr 28, 2010
    Grand Junction
    Hello all!!! The spaghetti squash we had last evening was wonderful!!! Thanks to all of you!!!! I have 20 more or so to eat/give away now. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by