Home made Automatic chicken door open/close mechanism.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rowlow, Nov 16, 2012.

1. rowlow

rowlow Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2012
    Sonoma County California
    I got tired of having to open the door before leaving for work and going out in the dark to close it. Sometimes I wouldn't get home till late and would worry that predators may enter the coop. So I searched the net and made this screw drive mechanism and it wasn't even that hard really. The parts I used were :

Plastic enclosure ( but a home made plywood box would work )
    Old 18 volt cordless drill
    3/8 All thread 2 1/2 ft long
    3/8 nuts
    Two 120vac double pole ice cube relays
    two normally closed limit switches
    6 volt battery out of an old UPS for a computer.
    battery trickle charger
    Old lid off plastic storage box
    120vac Lamp timer ( although I may switch to a photo cell )

I will make another one and probably use a smaller enclosure, use cord strain reliefs, have a better layout and better materials for a door. I just wanted to use what I had and get it done before the rain. And hey it works!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. chateau poulet

chateau poulet Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    Washington DC suburbs
    I would LOVE to have an auto-open/close! Can you describe a bit more how you set it up? Maybe a diagram, and/or a pic of the inside of the box?

3. chateau poulet

chateau poulet Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    Washington DC suburbs
    My husband's an EE, so if I make it REALLY easy for him, I might be able to convince him to set it up for me, or even do it myself!! :)

4. rowlow

Jun 25, 2012
    Sonoma County California
    K here's a quick schematic that I drew up.. Hope its accurate lol. Since your husband is an EE he should be able to figure it out. Next time I am going to program a small PLC and have indicator lights and a manual open close switch. I have to make another for my other coop so It'll give me a chance to make it better. Good Luck!

Oh and the battery is in parallel with the battery charger. I forgot to draw that in.

[​IMG]

5. rowlow

Jun 25, 2012
    Sonoma County California
    Ooops!!!! I took a look at this and the Leads coming off of the DN L.S. and 2CR-2 need to swap so the motor will reverse when the Timer turns off

6. rowlow

Jun 25, 2012
    Sonoma County California

Here's a link to it in operation

And a picture of the inside. Kinda rude and crude but it works. The next one will be better as a whole.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by