Home made automatic coop door question

The limit switch has common normally open and normally close

Wire it just like it's shown in the drawing, the left side of the limit switch in the drawing is the common and the right side is the normally closed. I would put a switch in place of the photocell for testing and be ready to kill the 12v in case the limit switch is not placed well.

JT

Wire it just like it's shown in the drawing, the left side of the limit switch in the drawing is the common and the right side is the normally closed. I would put a switch in place of the photocell for testing and be ready to kill the 12v in case the limit switch is not placed well.

JT
OK I am on my way home right now so I will take a look at it tonight thank you

I would test it with the motor not connected to the door so it just spins. Switch it to go up and press the limit switch and make sure the motor stops. Then test the down function, when your happy with that then connect the motor to the door.

JT

7.5 volts is a bit marginal but you can test it easy enough. Hook the DC side of the wall wort to the coil of the 12v relay and plug it in, if the relay clicks and the contacts change state then it's ok. You can also test the motor this way just connect the wall wort to the motor and plug it in.

Did you connect a switch in place of the photocell for testing?

JT

7.5 volts is a bit marginal but you can test it easy enough. Hook the DC side of the wall wort to the coil of the 12v relay and plug it in, if the relay clicks and the contacts change state then it's ok. You can also test the motor this way just connect the wall wort to the motor and plug it in.

Did you connect a switch in place of the photocell for testing?

JT
So I hooked up my old laptop power supply and it makes the one relay click on its own and the motor obviously moves when it clicks. When I press the limit switch it stops clicking. The other limit switch does nothing at all. Humm??

Hole the limit switch like as if door went all the way. Then click the relay again, and motor should turn in opposite direction, then activate other limit switch to stop motor.

Back
Top Bottom