home made Bator, Thermostats, and egg turning questions

GQF is a manufacturer of incubators. A wafer thermostat is a sealed brass bellows filled with ether. As it warms up it expands and as it cools down it contracts. The complete assembly is a wafer installed in a small sheet metal holder along with a microswitch. As the wafer expands and contract it switches the microswitch on and off controlling whatever heating element you have wired to it. The wafer is mounted on a threaded rod. By adjusting the distance between the wafer and the microwitch you set the temperature desired.

It's a commercial incubator thermostat, check the link here for a picture of one:

https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_listItems.asp?idCategory=51#

If you click on the #3122 thermostat and scroll around a little there is a close up photo of one and you can see how the bellows contacts the button on the switch and the threaded adjustment used to set the temp.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's just stuff that was laying around here. The local feed store had a pile of them for fairly cheap so I picked up a few to tinker with. I actually have a couple incubators around here, but haven't hatched anything. Just don't have room for all the birds I'd hatch out. I picked up another at the local poultry show yesterday. A 100 egg Brower, one of those big, round galvanized steel ones. $10. I had to put a new cord on it and it works fine. Someday I'll use it...

I saw a HOV with fan on Craigslist here for $55 used twice. DH said no. Got to go with the homemade job.
sad.png

would be easier but I guess not as much fun. I do like building things.

Thanks for your help

Got the thermostat today. Thanks so much!!
yippiechickie.gif

I think I have everything I need now, just got to get it put together. I think the fan I have might be too strong for the little box I'm going to use though. I'll have to look in my old PC I think I put an Aux. fan in there last time I upgraded it. Then I just have to get to work.
clap.gif
and hope it works
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom