home made Bator, Thermostats, and egg turning questions

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
Ok, I'm serious about building this homemade bator. I'm even going to have my brother invent an egg turner. I saw some instructions for sale on Ebay for one. $12 for the plans. But I think if I explan this task to my brother, he can come up with something. I'll let you all know. This would be a good task for him. Question. I've now seen that you are supposed to turn the eggs, 2, 3 and 4 times a day. Well, how many is it really?

Ok, next question, I'm going to start an Internet scavenger hunt for the items I need, among my friends. Should be able to come up with most the items that I don't have from them. But I have questions on Thermostats. I know what Miss Prissy uses, and I'll probably end up with that, but what about the ones we all have on our walls to run the heater and AC? Would something like that work? What other things work? Looking for options, so I don't turn down a offer of something that might work better.

Miss Prissy, what are the dimensions of the styrofoam ice chest you have? How many eggs do you think it would hold?

You think I'm full of questions now, just wait until I start hatching eggs
big_smile.png

TIA

Wall thermostats have 24v leads - too many wires to mess with, plus they don't go up high enough to set for eggs - most top out around 80 degrees and you need a thermostat that will allow you to set it between 90 and 110.

If you have a Lowe's or Home Depot store nearby you can get all you need there, exept the water snake.

The thermostats are sold back with the water heaters & parts.

The light kit is sold in the lighting section, on an end cap on an orange hang card.

The acurite thermometers with the probe to use with the Water Snake is sold with the gardening stuff, or you can find those at walmart too, back in hardware.

The water snake/wriggler/weasel, whatever you want to call it - you can find them at walmart or the dollar tree/store in the kids cheapo toy aisle.

Have fun!!

You know what I did for a thermostat! I just got my sticky fingers on one made for a commercial bator! I should have done that the first time round since it works just fine and was made for the purpose!

I got the light kit and the water weasle, transformer and hardware cloth. I just need an ice chest, thinking I might have one of those too. I have a thermometer that has a prob, the sends a signal to a base station. I guess I could use that it also tells the inside temp, (2 temps) so I can compare the ambiant temp to the temp inside the water wiggler.

Thanks on the thermostat, I didn't think of the range, that makes a lot of sense. I'm just worry it's going to be a nightmare like trying to get fish tank heaters to the right temp
smile.png

So, I'm well on my way to getting this done. I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy that thermostat. Just kinda out of work at the moment and trying to be frugal.

yep - adjusting the thermostat is the hardest thing - definately set up your bator a week ahead of getting your eggs, then make tiny adjustments and wait a couple of hours then check temps again

The thermometer I use remembers the max and min temps, which is great - I can just check it, make an adjustment and then clear the saved temps so next time I come I see what's its done since the last adjustment.

Keep us all posted on what you end up with and pics too...

Hum, commerical thermostat, might think about doing that. I'm pretty mechanical, but still want something a little fool proof, since I'm brand new to all this.

I don't know how many screwed up hatches my nerves will take.
barnie.gif
Even tempted just to get a commerial bator, but I don't have that kind of money. Saw one on Craigslist yesterday for $75 with the fan. No turner though. Still don't have $75
hu.gif

Well, since I haven't actually hatched anything yet (day 7) I can't say for sure if my rubbermaid cooler-a-bator works....BUT I can say it cost less than $30 for me to make, including the fancy thermometer with the probe.

I found an old cooler out in the outbuilding, and raided the kids toy box and an old computer for my PC fan and electrical supply.

The only expenses I have were the $10 thermostat, $8 light kit and the $11 thermometer. Oh, and $1 for the water worm.

Did you put a window in? if so, how thick is it?

Keep me posted on how it's going. I want to know what things I can do to avoid any problems.

Back
Top Bottom