Home-Made Brooder (For Up To 25 Chicks)

Sledrock

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
My baby chicks are supposed to be here next Wednesday, so I thought I better drop the excavating ground for my soon-be-started Hen House, and dig out the brooder and clean it up.

This will be the 3rd batch of chicks I've raised in it. It's 3' x 8" and will accomadate at least 25 chicks. I made the frame out of 2"x2"s and used scrap, thin paneling for the sides. I put a divider board in the middle to keep the chicks at one end, and then remove it later when they need more space....

I designed the bottom with hardware cloth and made L-shaped brackets underneath out of metal, drywall corner, strips. Then I cut 3 thin paneling boards to slide in/out to remove the poop that falls through the wire. (I'll put down newspaper for the first fews days.)
(In the last pic, there's a can of hornet spray holding the sliding panel part way up to better show how it works...)

The top doors are old, wooden screen doors, with one cut down to match the top of the box. I put some old lawn-mower wheels on one end so I can roll the whole thing around. (I plan on raising the chicks in the garage, and on nice, sunny days I can roll them outside to get some fresh air.)

Brooder_1.JPG

Brooder_2.JPG

Brooder_3.JPG

Brooder_4.JPG

Whatta Ya think?
jumpy.gif

I like it a lot!!! It's a great size and design. I would worry about their feet being on wire all the time, though. I know it is easier to clean, but somewhere I read you can have some problems. Plus they like to snuggy up in shavings.

I put Pine Shavings on the wire after I remove the papers.

The small pieces will fall through to the board (don't want them eating those, anyway), and I will rake the shavings around so that the heavier, soiled part (the poop) will fall through, too. I will occasionally add fresh shavings to the top layer.

It seems to work pretty good. I have raised two batches of 25 chicks in it and didn't loose a one or have any feet or leg problems -- knock on wood :)

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom