Beaten egg yolk for glaze

For the water crust pastry:
675g plain flour
255g unsalted butter
250ml whole milk

Method
How to make Cheese and onion pie
For the cheese and onion pie:
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Divide the pastry into two balls, keeping one a little larger than the other.
2) Melt the butter in a pan and gently fry the onions on a low heat until soft, then leave to cool.
3) Mix the onions into a bowl with the grated cheese, eggs, cream and the seasoning, and mix thoroughly with your fingers.
4) Roll out the larger ball of pastry into a lined greased baking tin. Tip the cheese and onion mixture into the pastry shell. Moisten the edges of the pastry and cover with the rolled-out top piece, crimping the edges together carefully.
5) Brush beaten egg over the top, make a hole in the middle and bake in the oven for 50 mins until golden brown and the cheese is bubbling from the hole.
6) Allow to cool before serving.

For the hot water crust pastry:
1) Warm a mixing bowl and sift the flour. Make a well in the centre.
2) Heat the butter and the milk until just boiling and pour into the well in the flour. Mix quickly.
3) Continue mixing the pastry until the dough is smooth.

Oh my gosh! And here I was browsing BYC, dreaming of chickens to bring home, and thinking "what in the world am I going to fix for dinner...?"

SHAZAM! BYC comes through again!

I can't wait to get home - Yum-O!

ya.gif
yesss.gif
ya.gif

I have a recipe similar.... it calls for bacon. I used a little bacon grease to add more flavor, but I am from the south.
tongue.png

This is the best Cheese and Onion pie i have ever made! I added 100g of Gruyere cheese (made half the amount for a smaller pie) and 150ml of double cream. The pastry was delightful and no soggy bottom! Will definately be making it time and time again

made this for tea last night really good
droolin.gif

Ingredients
800g cheddar cheese, grated
50g unsalted butter
2 large onions, peeled and chopped finely
2 large eggs
5 tbsp double cream
Sea salt
Black pepper
Water crust pastry, recipe follows
Beaten egg yolk for glaze

For the water crust pastry:
675g plain flour
255g unsalted butter
250ml whole milk

Method
How to make Cheese and onion pie
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Divide the pastry into two balls, keeping one a little larger than the other.
2) Melt the butter in a pan and gently fry the onions on a low heat until soft, then leave to cool.
3) Mix the onions into a bowl with the grated cheese, eggs, cream and the seasoning, and mix thoroughly with your fingers.
4) Roll out the larger ball of pastry into a lined greased baking tin. Tip the cheese and onion mixture into the pastry shell. Moisten the edges of the pastry and cover with the rolled-out top piece, crimping the edges together carefully.
5) Brush beaten egg over the top, make a hole in the middle and bake in the oven for 50 mins until golden brown and the cheese is bubbling from the hole.
6) Allow to cool before serving.

For the hot water crust pastry:
1) Warm a mixing bowl and sift the flour. Make a well in the centre.
2) Heat the butter and the milk until just boiling and pour into the well in the flour. Mix quickly.
3) Continue mixing the pastry until the dough is smooth.

WOW, that looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing!

Will this freeze OK?
I am thinking of making a bunch of small, individual size pies and putting them in the freezer for lunches and such. I don't think DH will even try this - gasp - NEW side dish.

Back
Top Bottom