Home made chicken plucker / how to make

could work on wood base for sure. it may not last as long or be as tight but, will work.

From the threaded bar to a drill shank, you can use a nut couppler ( https://www.acmetool.com/woeimages/bb/RCOLONG.jpg ) something like this. Maybe some loc tite or steel glue so it doesnt come apart too easily. that threaded bar goes through 2 pillow bearings (one on each side of the frame). Then a few nuts to hold the PVC pipe in place. If you need a parts list, or a detailed pic with each part referenced, I can do that. But, 99% of the things Ive used would be laying around, or can be bought readily (my local hardware up the road gives me offcut items now & again).

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Mr. Justin! I went yesterday and purchased some materials for the other plucker shown in this thread. The one that is made out of a wooden frame before I stumbled upon yours. I have no access to a welder so I would have to modify your setup to fit the wooden frame type. The only thing is I bought a 36" piece of 3/8" all thread rod to drill through the end caps. So I am really at a complete loss of what I would need to fashion it to be like yours with the drill shank and pillow bearings. Any suggestions would surely be appreciated.
Thanks, Bobby

If I had to, I could always go to Lowes and return that piece of 3/8" all thread and get the size that would fit for the shank adapter and pillow bearings. What you think? Does your 10 mm all thread go all the way through? I would have a time trying to find that in mm I would guess. LOL

could work on wood base for sure. it may not last as long or be as tight but, will work.
From the threaded bar to a drill shank, you can use a nut couppler ( https://www.acmetool.com/woeimages/bb/RCOLONG.jpg ) something like this. Maybe some loc tite or steel glue so it doesnt come apart too easily. that threaded bar goes through 2 pillow bearings (one on each side of the frame). Then a few nuts to hold the PVC pipe in place. If you need a parts list, or a detailed pic with each part referenced, I can do that. But, 99% of the things Ive used would be laying around, or can be bought readily (my local hardware up the road gives me offcut items now & again).

So if I am understanding you correctly I would need to use that nut coupler to attach the threaded bar to the drill shank you used from ebay, then run my 3/8" all thread through the first pillow bearing and all the way through to the other pillow bearing then tighten it down with some washers and nuts? I bought some washers and lock nuts yesterday. And that should fit through the same size pillow bearings if I am thinking correctly?
The reason I need to build this is because I have 2 Americaucanas Roosters who is beating up my prized Rhode Island Red Roo and I can't have that happening around here. My RIR is a beautiful bird I want to bread with. Once they drew blood, it was on! So I had to separate them and I need to make a move quick. LOL
If you wouldn't mind you can email me a detailed pic with each part referenced if you wouldn't mind to [email protected]
After the Y is an underscore.

So if I am understanding you correctly I would need to use that nut coupler to attach the threaded bar to the drill shank you used from ebay, then run my 3/8" all thread through the first pillow bearing and all the way through to the other pillow bearing then tighten it down with some washers and nuts? I bought some washers and lock nuts yesterday. And that should fit through the same size pillow bearings if I am thinking correctly?
The reason I need to build this is because I have 2 Americaucanas Roosters who is beating up my prized Rhode Island Red Roo and I can't have that happening around here. My RIR is a beautiful bird I want to bread with. Once they drew blood, it was on! So I had to separate them and I need to make a move quick. LOL
If you wouldn't mind you can email me a detailed pic with each part referenced if you wouldn't mind to [email protected]
After the Y is an underscore.

Hi there Mr. Justin. I don't know if you sent that email to me or not I had to step away for a while and do some traveling to my 5 acre homestead to bring some crates and buckets for things I will be planting in my garden. And also, my computer is acting up on me. As I go through my emails, for some reason it keeps deleting emails on it's own! So if you did send it, I don't show receiving it. Could you please resend it with the diagrams and parts I would need. I also to have a nice little hardware store located near me who usually has everything I need 99% of the time. If they don't have it in stock, they sure don't have a problem getting it for me. It's my local Ace Hardware Store. Besides what I would need to bet from ebay, they could get the parts for me. And I found a welder that lives across the street from me who could do the job of making my frame for me. I would just offer him a few dollars which should come in handy for him being he is disabled, but he don't like sitting around on his butt. Sorry it took so long for me to get back with ya, but I was away for a few hours.
Thanks, Bobby

Bob heya! Sorry, we had some freak rainstorm & floods here - had to put a new roof over the coops, and sort out the water issues. Ive sent that drawing & additional pics to your email address. Its a PDF with parts list, diagrams and additional pics.

Bob heya! Sorry, we had some freak rainstorm & floods here - had to put a new roof over the coops, and sort out the water issues. Ive sent that drawing & additional pics to your email address. Its a PDF with parts list, diagrams and additional pics.

AW man, thanks a bunch! I greatly appreciate that. I wet the other day to my local Ace Hardware store and bought that 3/8" nut coupler by the way.

Man Justin, that is a nice set of drawings and nice setup you have right there. I sure wish I had your talent when it comes to things like this!! I have trouble building a box! LOL But I am learning some things and just teaching myself as I go along. I was never a technically engineered thinker. I would just always pay someone or barter for help.
Like I said before, I already have a 36" piece of 3/8" all thread, a 2 1/2 ft. piece of 4 inch PVC pipe and 2 end caps with the 2 sets of lock nuts, washers and lock washers ready too go. I am making my fingers out of those thick black bungee straps. I have on order through Amazon the drill chuck shank and both 10mm ball bearings. I went with Amazon because they showed a quicker delivery time for those items.
Seems like those items take forever and a day to get here.
I think I am going to either barter or pay my neighbor across the street for him to build a frame for me. Hell, I gave him about 6 months ago over $1000.00 worth of alcohol making equipment along with a whole complete setup for beer making also for nothing. So maybe he will take that into consideration. The alcohol equipment I just need to call it that. LOL

This is what I built last week Jean

This is what I built last week Jean

Hi paradisefarm2009. I have a question for you on this chicken plucker you made yourself. I am trying to make one like it but am having a little trouble. I have a 36" piece of 3/8" all thread that will go through the 4" PVC piping and end caps. The piping is 24" and I have all the hardware such as the lock nuts, washers and lock washers. But if you go to post #34 of 47 I am setting it up in that sort of manner. Meaning Instead of going into the wood itself I bought some 10 mm diameter Pillow Block mounted ball bearings that I will attach to the top of the wooden frame. My question to you if you can help me out is what are the dimensions of the wooden frame you used and how tall is it. I am just wondering about these measurements so I can know how much lumber and size I should buy when I go buy my materials. I don't want to overbuy or under buy the amount of wood I will need. Do you think you could help me out with this? It would surely be appreciated. I have all parts necessary to build except for the lumber which I need to get as I have two roosters causing problems that have to go. Thank you ahead of time. Burger Bob

Back
Top Bottom