Home made feeder in minutes!

Tim in Pa.

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 21, 2008
SW Pa.
Although I am new at this chicken raising thing I am a metal worker by trade and found a very cheap way to make a feeder that has worked well for me and my chicks waste very little food and cant get up and poo in it. matl. needed in 1 old 5 gal. bucket ,(1) 8" to 6" galv. pipe reducer and 1 pc. of 6"x 36" galv pipe the pipe I am talking about is the type used for the duct work (the thin stuff) These items are not expensive and found in about any hardware store, you may even have them laying around your place.
First take the 5 gal. bucket and cut it off about 3 inch from the bottom. then take the 3 foot pc of pipe push it into the smaller side of the reducer and rivit/screw or even duct tape it to the 6 inch side of the 8x6 reducer.
Now take a pair of tin snips and make a series of cuts 3" deep approx. 1-1.5" apart on the bottom of 8" side of the reducer ,Now bend every other tab up inside of the pipe .
Set the whole thing down in the cut off bucket bottom and there should be a gap about 1.5" the entire way around just enough to get the heads in but not enough for them to stand on,Also a plastic coffee lid fits perfectly on the 6" top of the feeder.
Hope this simple inexpensive feeder helps out those of you like myself that hate to pay for things that can be easily made at home . I hope to get some pictures when I get my new camera.

Good luck,Tim

Last edited:
Me too...I am a visual learner!
big_smile.png

Tim, we need some pics to visualize your creation. Sounds awesome.

Back
Top Bottom