Home Made Incubator Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by slewfoot100, May 12, 2009.

1. slewfoot100

slewfoot100 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    Dyersburg, TN
    I built myself a home made incubator out of an old ice cooler we had around the house. It's small (cooler holds a 12 pack) and I have been testing the temp range. Right now it goes from 95.6 to a high of 101.2. Is this an acceptable temp range is my question. I have a pc fan inside so I figure it's a stable temp throughout the bator.

2. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    You really want it around 99-100 if it has a fan, But I don't think your range would kill the Babies, you just may have a early or late hatch date.

I guess the only way to know is to try it. Also adding eggs seems to stablize it a little too!

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Its a tad low which, as kelsey says, would likely draw out your hatches. How are you measuring this temp an with what sort of instrument? Is this air temp?

It is difficult to get a stable reading in small air masses due to the heat source being so close to the probe.
    Interestingly, it is easier to get stability in a larger air mass. Those who have aquariums will recognize this phenomenon, as well.

Fans help, but probably the best thing you can do is use a buffered temp probe. Buy or make a water weasel and you can get a more accurate reading. GO here to read about them:

http://shilala.homestead.com/weasel.html

But dont buy them there - they want $12!! Get them at WalMart for $0.88!
    You can also make them. Use a small, rolled Zip-Loc baggie, partially filled with water, and secured with a rubber band.

4. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    Does your fan blow towards the eggs or to the wall of the cooler? Your fan should be blowing towards the side, using spacers between the wall and fan. The cooler is a small area and in doing this you should get a better reading. Good Luck and congratulations on building your own!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by