Home made incubator, roughly $12

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Erock1234, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Erock1234

Erock1234 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2010
    I have been pouring over web sites drooling over incubators wishing I had the money to get some of that stuff. Well I grew up making things work rather than buying them and ya know the old saying if ya want something bad enough you'll make it happen. I also did some thinking and old time farmers probably didn't have such things they more than likely worked with what they had, so I rummaged around the house and the shed and come up with what I think will work. I would love some input on this seeing I have never hatched an egg yet, I actually just plugged the thing in a few minutes ago. So with out further adieu here it is:

I put a dimmer switch on top so I can regulate the heat
    [​IMG]

I found (at walmart) a neat little thermometer/humidity combo
    [​IMG]

So here is how I came up with my $$$ figure

Bread box - had it
    Old lamp for light - had it
    Old picture frame for window - had it
    Dimmer switch $4.50
    plastic dimmer case $0.50
    bread pan for water $1.00
    Humidity/temp combo $5.00
    (4) 75 watt bulbs $1.00

pros cons? please help out I figure i might have to move something or try something this is my first one. Thanks ahead of time!!

2. bahamas

bahamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    i am a master of making incubators. B ut i commend you with all my oudacity i never would have thunk this. I hoope its functional. Its awesome. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now all you need to do is throw some eggs in there.

3. Dirty_South_Chickens

Dirty_South_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Waco, TX
    I like your DIY project, I also like making things instead of buying them. I would recommend that you check temp gauge...I got 1 from wal-mart that look just like that and reads 2 degrees high! found it out the hard way, I had four gauges going at 1 time and they all read different temps ( 2 digital and 2 mercury ). I ended up taking them to work and bouncing them against a fluke multimeter with temperature probe. Good luck!

4. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    That's cool looking. Now you have to design an egg turner, lol. Breadbox is a great idea.

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I have been thinking about using a tackle box with a see thru top

6. Cowgirlgrace

Cowgirlgrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Just wanted to add to make sure you have ventilation holes. They don't need as much during incubation as they do the last three days. Any one have anything to add about how much?

7. Erock1234

Erock1234 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2010
    @ bahamas Thanks!!! Once I find the sweet spot on the dimmer where the temp is where it should be I sure will. I have been watching my roo and seeing which hens he's been with.

@ Dirty_South_Chickens Thanks, and also for the info about the degrees I do believe I'll get a few more, been thinking about adding a computer fan today i think i have one around here

@ wpalmisano Thanks!! I have thought about it actually lol

@ aprophet Good idea you should try that!!

@ Cowgirlgrace Thanks for that!! Now with the holes does the temp still need to stay the same as well?

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Now you just need to add a small computer fan.

Good work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by