Home made incubator with turner

If I remember correctly, my LG turns from plus 30 to minus 30 degs. My homemade has false sides, very simulor to your's. Just finished my temp test and had less than 1/2 deg diff from any place on the egg tray. I have not checked top to bottom tray differiential yet. Will do that tomorrow. .....stan

30 was about what I had in mind. I probably will be pretty much finished this weekend but will be waiting on some limit switches to come in before I can finish.

I want to make a home made incubator using a large styrofoam container I got from work.
What egg turners are available commercially and what are their sizes ?

Ive got 2 LG's in my current incubator that are 15'' X 15'' and hold 41 chicken eggs each. They are on sale at tractor supply now for $39.00. I dont have a problem with them but wanted a bigger incubator and did not want t have to buy a bunch of these. I will sell them on ebay when I get my new one up and running.

Quote:
I plan to have it turn the eggs every couple hours. I hope 2 rpm isnt too much. I have some limit switches ordered to make it stop in position. I am planning to put a 6'' arm on the turner and then a 2'' arm on the gear motor which I think will give me a + or - 30 deg angle as the short arm rotates . I may have to play with that a little to get it write but will probably build in some adjustment. Today I got poyurathan put on the inside and on the turner, installed the fan, and installed the turner.

I plan to use a mini digital controller for the temp control and 2 light bulbs for heat. I thought about using a GQF heating element but I like the idea of being able to change the wattage of the heating element. I have noticed that in my other bator it heats up really fast since the weather has warmed up. I am thinking about putting in some 60 watt bulbs for the summer so that it takes longer to complete a cycle.

Here is a pic with the turner installed
76139_img00076-20110324-1251.jpg

Ive got the turner working, trying to get a video uploaded off of my phone but am having trouble getting it onto my computer. Will post a link if I get it. I tested it with quite a bit of weight and it worked fine as long as I had the weight balanced. I was able to overload the motor if I put a bunch of weight on one side.

I'm thinking you may need to down sixe that fan. My incy is about the same size, pretty much the same design except I have side channels for the return hot air. I am using 2 computer fans rated at 8 cubic ft per min. All you want to do is just keep the air moving, stired up to keep even temps. Does it exhaust or draft thru that big hole to the outside? Interested cause it's so much like mine .......stan

Back
Top Bottom