Homegrown vs store bought

4 luv of eggs

Songster
9 Years
Apr 22, 2010
Westminster, MD
I am still waiting for that first egg. I keep reading how much different and better farm fresh eggs taste as opposed to store bought.

Using your best descriptive abilities, can you please describe the difference in taste?

Would love to know as well as I, too, am waiting for that first illustrious egg to appear. My 8 SLW hens are 17 weeks old now...

I don't know that they taste different. They seem firmer, and the yolks are dark- almost orange... The store bought ones have anemic yellow yolks.

Farm fresh eggs...hhhmmm....Yolks a deeper in color..usually a deep yellow orange. Also the yolks usually are much larger in size. The taste is rich and creamy, best for moppy moppy's with fresh whole grain bread, or fresh blueberry sausage.
droolin.gif
:drool:drool:love:love

Oh sorry, I just had breakfast!!
gig.gif

No, seriously. Eggs from chickens that get to free range and that you get to feed taste sooooo much better. The eggs will even taste a bit of what you feed your chickens ie: garlic, basil, etc, etc. The yolks are so rich and hearty. You will soon see!

Enjoy and don't forget to take pics of your first eggs...whole and in the pan!
tongue.png

When I first started eating farm fresh eggs, they just tasted like eggs to me and I was a little disappointed. BUT after months of eating my farm fresh eggs, I order scrambled eggs for breakfast at a nice restaurant in town and they tasted terrible - no flavor, like cardboard! So I'm completely spoiled on my fresh eggs - I can never go back to grocery store eggs again!

It's like the difference between generic sandwich bread at the store and a fresh loaf of homemade bread. They both taste like bread and you'll eat them both, but the flavor and texture of the homemade bread is richer and tastier.

Yes oh yes theres a differance....beautiful golden orange yolks, a creamier texture....and yes your family and husband may give you the
old "Honey did you add food coloring to the eggs? My omelet is so yellow.." I also find a big differance when making home made
custards and flans.. You'll never go back to store bought!!!
smile.png

Mine haven't started laying yet, but I buy exclusively local backyard chicken eggs. I would describe them as just...well...'eggier'. Richer, better color, a nice texture that coats your tongue when you eat them.

My chickens are 12 weeks old. After reading these post I'm hungry for Backyard Chicken Eggs !!
big_smile.png

Hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm...............in My Case The Shop Bought Eggs Are Better Becuase The Farm Eggs Have A Srtong Egg Taste I Wouldnt Recomand Backing Egg With Farm Egg Other Wis U Will Get A Cake With Egg Taste In It But If You Like Egg Taste Then Farm Eggs It Is!

Back
Top Bottom