Homemade Brooder Capacity - how many is 'crowded'?

Trillium

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 3, 2008
This is my first button quail brood, so I'm all about the newbie questions!
big_smile.png
Thanks for bearing with me. If you only know the following answer for chickens, I can try to judge from your knowledge there on what is right. I'd like any input at this point.

There are so many pictures on the net of about one dozen chicks in a small aquarium brooder. I'm starting to wonder how many is too many? I am raising button quail (chinese painted quail) chicks. I have 11 in one ten gallon tank. The first few days, when the chicks are tiny, can be very decieving! It's day four, and I'm wondering what to do as they are growing fast. What is the normal amount of chicks in an aquarium brooder?

It's always easy to put a lot more in a brooder than will fit in a week. It's amazing how quickly they outgrow brooders.

You'll just have to play it by ear & move them once they seem crowded!

Yeah, you have to kinda play it by ear like the other person said. 2 weeks ago when mine were day olds life in the brooder was great and now......getting a little tight and they are trying to flap around.....I think I am gonna be talking to dh about a new house for the chicks soon!
tongue.png

Thanks for the replies.
big_smile.png
My little black and orange quails (how fitting is that for halloween?! I didn't even plan it. lol) are going to be separated today into 2 tanks I think. They're starting to get their feathers on their wings, so that seems fitting. Again, thanks for the input!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom