Homemade Bucket Chicken Waterer Question?

chuckzoo

Songster
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Bucket Chicken Waterer
A very widely used method of watering chickens is to find a bucket that has a tight-sealing lid, such as a 5-gallon paint bucket that has been thoroughly cleaned out. Get a flower pot drain pan or some other deep pan that is larger than your bucket by at least 5 or 6 inches and that is about 3 to 5 inches deep. Drill four to six 1/8- to 1/4-inch holes in the rim of the bucket with the lid on, about 2 inches from the top of the rim or just below the lid. Fill the bucket with water and put the lid on securely. Turn the bucket over into the pan to allow the water to start dripping out into the pan. The water level will only rise as high as the holes are so as the chickens drink, the water will drip from the bucket slowly.

Read more: Best Way - Homemade Chicken Waterer | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5387323_homemade-chicken-waterer.html#ixzz0tJN15fzz

My question is; Why do you have to turn the bucket lid side down? Why can't you have the holes at the bottom of the bucket and the lid at the top that you could just remove the lid and fill the bucket.

I am wanting to add a bird bath dripper to the bucket to keep fresh water in it at all times. Would I need to seal around the pipe to create a vacuum?

Well, I am no expert, but you have to create a vacuum. It you take off the lid to fill it up, wouldn't all the water just come out the bottom?

Filling from the top with the holes at the bottom does not create a vacuum inside the bucket. You get the vacuum when you turn it over, and water comes out only up to the level of the holes. Try it out with something smaller like a yogurt container or 13 oz plastic coffee "can".

OK. I think I may have to go for a smaller bucket in that case. Turning over a 5 gallon bucket full of water and I may be off to the chiropracter's office!

Just as an alternative, do a site search on "nipple" there are a few threads that describe how to make waters with nipples, you can use any size containers, just have to be able to hang them.

Do you put anything in the water? I've read that vinegar is a good additive but am unsure if this is ok or even necessary. We lost 5 hens to Merck's last year and if there is anything i can do to help prevent disease i want to make sure we're doing it! I am using the standard offering from Tractor Supply to water our chickens and guineas; a plastic feeder in their house and a metal one in the run. I found once i elevated both i could go more than 24 hours without cleaning them. this is more of a method question than a procedural one so forgive me for being off topic

Back
Top Bottom