homemade candler from old lamp / candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chiknaddiction, Mar 5, 2012.

1. chiknaddiction

chiknaddiction Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    DeSoto, Missouri
    I made my first candler today from an old lamp we had in storage that has the shade missing (I'd guess I'm not the only one with one of those laying around taking up room). I was planning on making it the standard way by fixing (duct taping) a can over the top with a hole in it. But, after examining it for a moment I figured it would be pretty easy to disassemble the light and reassemble the necessary components inside the base, using the wiring hole as the candler hole. The only issue I have with it so far is that I don't have any way of securing the light on the inside, so I have to move it with care. The only thing holding the light in is a aluminum foil tray I made with a hole in it for the wire to pass through.

This was a easy project and worked well. I hope sharing it helps someone else and even improves on the idea.

[​IMG]

The egg shown here is one that I'm storing to start incubating at the end of this week. So you can't see any development, but the yolk and air sac show up pretty clearly.

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading,
    Jacob

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Thats a nice candler. Good job [​IMG] mine is just a toilet paper role over a very bright light

3. chiknaddiction

chiknaddiction Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    DeSoto, Missouri
    Thanks. I look forward to using it to do some real candling soon.[​IMG]

4. Fuzz Fuzz

Fuzz Fuzz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Netherlands
    Good idea.
    So easy to make and recicling old stuff, i like it.

Maybe you can fix the light to a piece of scrap wood or something like that?
    Probebly i have more idea's when i see the contrapsion you made without the top on.

5. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I had extra foam tape left over, so I went to the dollar store, and bought an LED flash light for 2 dollars, and wrapped the end of the light with foam tape, so that it would wrap around the eggs end, and not let out any extra light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by