Homemade chick starter food?

Just curious how your chicks have done on the homemade feed?

The feed I had been using has turned out to be deficient in several areas. I can get a similar feed but it is nearly double the cost and still not organic. Trying to work with the local growers coop to come up with a formula of their incomplete feeds (e.g. whole grains and seed meals) that I can feed while avoiding soy and corn. Definitely don't want the soy and since they don't have separate bins for non-gmo at this time, I will stay away from the corn.

Well I will not get a chance to test it out for a little over a week, but I will be switching to the blend the nutritionist put together for me. Will be a lot of work to grind the milo(sorghum) in a hand mill, but I could use the exercise anyways. From what I can tell it would be a gluten free blend also, if the ingredients came from a place that did not risk cross contamination. If it works out for the birds it will be nearly cutting my feed bill in half.

I have just started making my own chick feed this past few days. I grind everything up almost powdery and mix in just enough whole milk to make tiny dryish but moist clumps. I have used 2 cups of each corn-oats-wheat, 1 cup flax seed and about a quarter cup of soy meal and they gobble it up. I have been giving chick grit and putting some homemade kombucha in their water. So far they seem ok but this is my first time making feed...I have 46 chicks Im feeding this to. The majority are Christmas hatched babies and the rest are from the New Years Day hatch. I was hoping for some input on this from some of you guys who have been raising chicks.

OTHERWISE JUST SIMPLY MIX THE FOLLOWING INGRIDIENTS-
PEARL MILLETS
OATS
BOILED EGG
RICE
BARLEY
AND GINGER POWDER IN LITTLE QTY AND FEED GINGER ONLY ONCE A MONTH IT HELPS IN THE REGROWTH OF FEATHERS

Back
Top Bottom