Homemade Chicken Feed 200 lbs @ $0.39 per Pound

Those numbers don't match any numbers common to the animal feed industry.  It's possible that they are showing so high b/c they are based on 4 human servings.  There fore, for instance, 1# of oats would be 4 servings, and make up 56% of the protein needs of the human daily diet.  I'm not sure.  But, I'm thinking you should use charts based on animal feed to avoid any confusion.

Thanks, but wouldn't the nutrition value of a pound of oats remain the same even if a chicken ate it? Like they say "A ton of cotton weighs the same as a ton of bricks!" If a pound of oats were the daily consumption of a human and is "56% protein" wouldn't that be an overkill of protein on a chicken being way to smaller than a human? I read in a thread also about giving too much protein on chickens would cause kidney issues. This guy was giving too much mealworms and his birds got sick. I'm just asking cuz I got this idea from the website The Praire Homestead http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2016/06/homemade-chicken-feed-recipe.html
Where they use most of my ingredients except for kelp, fish meal, nutri balancer (which is mostly vitamins and minerals), and calcium supplement which I don't have. Just asking around for members input.

Last edited:
All I can tell you is that your protein percentages don't make sense. I went to that web site and took a good look. Without doing much research, this recipe on that site looked ok:
Note the main difference in this feed compared to yours is the fish meal. Without looking that up, I'm guessing it's about 30% protein. And it's a high quality protein: animal protein. Also, the Poultry Nutri-Balancer would be providing the trace minerals/vitamins that may be lacking in yours. Kelp is also very high in essential minerals and vitamins. Aragonite is also an other product that is usually added to home made animal feeds. While chicken flocks have been living "down on the farm" for hundreds of years, subsisting on free range and the morning bit of scratch or cracked corn, they had access to a whole farm yard of free range delights that the common back yard flock does not have access to.

I don't mix my own because I know I can't get a healthy balance for the price I can buy prepared feed. You can feed your mix to your flock, and they might do ok on it, or they may end up having some health problems show up. I'm merely suggesting that you take an other look at the source of your information. It is not correct IMO.

An other thing you might consider to give them even more of a nutritional boost would be to ferment your feed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I went back to that WebMD food calculator site, and found your problem. The protein percentages you were quoting in your list of ingredients were based on your calculations of the number of servings you estimated that would be in a pound of the ingredient. For example, when using dry yellow corn, based on 1/4 cup per serving, I'm guessing you entered 4 servings, and came up with 31% protein. But, that is the amount of protein %DV based on an adult human eating 1 full cup of dry yellow corn. THAT IS NOT THE PROTEIN CONTENT OF THE CORN.

Last edited:
I too had livestock nutrition, and poultry husbandry classes in college, and there's no way I could balance a ration at home for a better price than Purina can provide!!! It's tricky, and unless you are feeding hundreds of birds at once (at least!) it can't be done economically. Mary

All I can tell you is that your protein percentages don't make sense. I went to that web site and took a good look. Without doing much research, this recipe on that site looked ok:
  • 30% Corn
  • 30% Wheat
  • 20% Peas
  • 10% Oats
  • 10% Fish Meal
  • 2% Poultry Nutri–Balancer [COLOR=8CAE39](where to buy)
[/COLOR]
Note the main difference in this feed compared to yours is the fish meal. Without looking that up, I'm guessing it's about 30% protein. And it's a high quality protein: animal protein. Also, the Poultry Nutri-Balancer would be providing the trace minerals/vitamins that may be lacking in yours. Kelp is also very high in essential minerals and vitamins. Aragonite is also an other product that is usually added to home made animal feeds. While chicken flocks have been living "down on the farm" for hundreds of years, subsisting on free range and the morning bit of scratch or cracked corn, they had access to a whole farm yard of free range delights that the common back yard flock does not have access to.

I don't mix my own because I know I can't get a healthy balance for the price I can buy prepared feed. You can feed your mix to your flock, and they might do ok on it, or they may end up having some health problems show up. I'm merely suggesting that you take an other look at the source of your information. It is not correct IMO.

An other thing you might consider to give them even more of a nutritional boost would be to ferment your feed.
I guess ill look up for the rest of the ingredients when I head to the city cuz herein aint gonna find nothing. All I know is that I have 200 lbs of feed....lol....and the percentages aren't mine its that **** nutrient vale calculator they have on their website. I just entered what I had and the amount and *boom* all data came out giving me that info.....**** Newbie!!!!
1f600.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I went back to that WebMD food calculator site, and found your problem. The protein percentages you were quoting in your list of ingredients were based on your calculations of the number of servings you estimated that would be in a pound of the ingredient. For example, when using dry yellow corn, based on 1/4 cup per serving, I'm guessing you entered 4 servings, and came up with 31% protein. But, that is the amount of protein %DV based on an adult human eating 1 full cup of dry yellow corn. THAT IS NOT THE PROTEIN CONTENT OF THE CORN.

I too had livestock nutrition, and poultry husbandry classes in college, and there's no way I could balance a ration at home for a better price than Purina can provide!!!  It's tricky, and unless you are feeding hundreds of birds at once (at least!)  it can't be done economically.  Mary

Thanks....I messed up big on this one.

I wouldn't beat myself up too much over something like this. There is a difference between stupidity and being uninformed/ignorant. Asking questions about things you don't know about is a sign of intelligence and a good thing. Yours was about feed rations and in that, is no different than the legions who make mistakes in their housing, including predator control. There are a lot of things to learn about raising chickens, feed rations and what they eat and need to eat being only one of many.

But your concern about feed cost is valid. But at least you know where to look for solutions.

What he said! And you did not waste your money. You have some very nice feed there. What you could do, if you wanted to work out the numbers, using an agricultural chart to up the protein with fish meal. Some folks have used cat fish or koi pellets. Or you could simply buy a nice bag of higher protein feed, and use your mix as scratch. You can still ferment your mix if you want to. You might find someone on your state thread who does mix their own, and get enough Nutri-balancer and aragonite to balance it out.

We're all learning. Feeding your birds is one of the biggest learning curves. I can't tell you how many threads talk about "my birds are dying or getting sick" only to further on disclose that the birds are eating nothing but stale white bread and perhaps scratch. Or their feed is old. Sounds like where you live, you never run into old feed. I can't tell you how often I've walked out of the feed store without buying b/c the feed on the shelves is 2 - 3 months old.

Back
Top Bottom