Homemade chicken feeder and waterer pics please!

Today I managed to rummage around my house and find some good materials for chick feeders and waterer!!/img/smilies/celebrate.gif

~Materials I used for feeder:

-1 quart (16 ounces, or 2lbs)  plastic yogurt jar

- 1 small plant tray

-1 nut and bolt

~Tools used to make feeder:

- Anything sharp (used a nail)

- Kitchen scissors

-Cordless drill
IMG_0521.jpg

Inside view
IMG_0525.jpg

Bottom view
IMG_0528.jpg

~Materials for waterer:

- 1 quart plastic yogurt jar

- 1 plastic TV dinner bowl

- Hot glue

~Tools used to make waterer:

- Kitchen scissors

- Hot glue gun

IMG_0532.jpg

I made the feeder by cutting out four holes on separate sides of the jar.

I drilled a hole through the jars bottom and the plant tray, then screwed the nut and bolt in. Already tested this, it works great!

As for the waterer, I only cut out one tiny hole on one side and super glued the yogurt jar to the TV dinner bowl. (which I trimmed back a bit because it was too deep of a bowl.) This works well, too. On the inside of the waterer, I marked were the water level should be so it wont over flow.

Im so happy with how these turned out! /img/smilies/love.gif

I did something similar for the chicks. I made the holes according to chick growth at back level. I can keep different ages/sizes together in one brooder, and everyone had food. No pecking or fighting for a turn. Of course the day old chicks kept squeezing into the 3 week old chicks containers. I use the clear containers from the wan ton soup hubby keeps bringing home... I do the same thing for water, but put a few pieces of gravel in it so they don't knock it over. My containers are used upside down, and so far no lids have leaked either.

I have made 2 using the nipples. 1 was a 3" PVC mounted about 2' above the ground, 4' long with 6 nipples in the bottom. I used a 90 degree bend to turn up outside of the pen and added a 2' section to the elbow to fill it, put a 3" cap on it and remove the cap to fill with water. Obviously you need to cap the horizontal piece, I put a 3" clean out on that end so I could remove the plug to flush it.

this next one (see link below) is by far and away the best one I've seen/made to date. It's a true auto-waterer and it's enclosed so no worries about algae (probably should still flush from time to time. One thing I think I would do differently is use the clip on nipples http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/me-43HScdexe2tKO9MFbhsw.jpg

Here's the guy's page for the watering system. It's simple and genius! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/651102/my-pvc-true-auto-waterer

Waterer and feeder. I modified the feeder using sweeping tee so I could get better flow to the feed trough. this is on my tractor so you can move the birds around and no worries about the feed and water, they go along for the ride.
smile.png

the auto-water is located in the front right corner It's simple and fairly cheap. $8 for float, and probably another 10-15 for the fittings and pipe. Works like a champ.

I have made 2 using the nipples. 1 was a 3" PVC mounted about 2' above the ground, 4' long with 6 nipples in the bottom. I used a 90 degree bend to turn up outside of the pen and added a 2' section to the elbow to fill it, put a 3" cap on it and remove the cap to fill with water. Obviously you need to cap the horizontal piece, I put a 3" clean out on that end so I could remove the plug to flush it.

this next one (see link below) is by far and away the best one I've seen/made to date. It's a true auto-waterer and it's enclosed so no worries about algae (probably should still flush from time to time. One thing I think I would do differently is use the clip on nipples http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/me-43HScdexe2tKO9MFbhsw.jpg

Here's the guy's page for the watering system. It's simple and genius! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/651102/my-pvc-true-auto-waterer

Waterer and feeder. I modified the feeder using sweeping tee so I could get better flow to the feed trough. this is on my tractor so you can move the birds around and no worries about the feed and water, they go along for the ride.
smile.png

the auto-water is located in the front right corner It's simple and fairly cheap. $8 for float, and probably another 10-15 for the fittings and pipe. Works like a champ.

We made ours out of gutters. My children wanted to be able to feed them but I did not want them going in the coop as much. They enjoy just standing outside the run feeding them so we wanted something outside. We actually got this idea when we built bookshelves for our house. The idea seemed so simple.

So, I bought a piece of vinyl gutter and two end caps. Screwed some holes in it, zip tied it to their run fence and then cut out every other piece of their fencing so they could easily stick their head through. It works great. I only give what I know they will eat in one day. At night when I lock them up I just take the right cap off and spray it out with a hose, refill the next day. Cost about $6 to make. It originally was going to be 8 feet but on the drive home my daughter let it sit all twisted and the gutter was warped on one end, so I had to cut it off and make it 4-5ft, can't remember.

031-2.jpg

035-1.jpg
doing it this way do you have issues with other critters or predators getting in

I just got my truck camper top coop/run set up and used a 2.5 quart plastic bucket with lid - cost less than $2 from Home Depot and bought a plastic water catcher for potted plants for about $1. I also bought 50' of 18 gauge craft wire for less than $4. Then, I went through my junk drawer of odds and ends and found a plastic bolt and nut that came from a toilet seat.. lol.. Using the file tip in the pic, I punched a hole in the bottom of both the water catcher and the bucket. I also cut out, haphazardly, about four holes along the bottom of the bucket with the knife. I then attached the bucket to the water catcher with the plastic bolt/nut. Then put 2 holes, aligned on either side, near the top of the bucket. I then braided two pieces of the wire to make a secure handle and threaded it through the holes, leaving about 1.5" flaps of single wire on each end, on the inside of the bucket to hold it. I had a short chain plant hanger just laying around, and a plant hanger stand with spikes that you can stomp into the ground. I secured that hanger to the corner post of my run with wire, hooked the chain on with all three of the small claps to the curved hook on the stand, then hooked the hook end of the 3 chains to the wire handle on the feeder. It's working well for the 6 chickens I have. It can be seen hanging in my run in my profile images...

It is a good temporary feeder. But given winter is coming on, I'll probably upgrade it soon.. heheh

We feed our chickens outside, and I was getting tired of feeders that would get clogged up after a rain fall, or that the chickens would knock over. Most of the larger feeders I looked at had open tops, and people would have to hang a pie tin over the opening to keep the rain out. I finally saw something that looked better, but realized I could make it myself. I bought a 5 gallon plastic pail with a lid at Lowe's, and a 3" CPVC 45 degree elbow. I cut a hole in the side of the bucket just large enough for the elbow, and jammed the elbow in with the inside part aimed towards the bottom of the pail. This way the chickens just stick their heads into the elbow to eat, which prevents a lot of mess. It is hard for the rain to get in as well. The whole thing cost around $6. So far it had held up well without any glue. It also holds a lot of feed while keeping it dry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom