Homemade chicken feeder and waterer pics please!

Featherwisp

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Have you made your own chicken waterer/feeder? I would love to see some pictures. I trying to get ideas on how to build some from the stuff I have around the house/garage.
wink.png

i know there are afew floating around here, but i would love to see more too - i get my chicks in a couple weeks and want to make a few also. i always love to see what people can come up with:)

I made my own feeders by using
1"X4" 3 ft long
three sides and in the top I nailed 10 penny nails to a 1"x1"piece of pine and it turned as the nails allowed it to
never had any problems
I always bought the plastic gallon waterers that I got from Smiths Poultry supplys
they have the gallon size that is hard plastic and sets on a heated water base unit
used mostly 25 watt bulbs in the heater for winter

I'd make the waterer from a 5 gallon bucket and a planter base if it weren't so heavy to turn over. No problem if you are young and strong!

Today I managed to rummage around my house and find some good materials for chick feeders and waterer!!
celebrate.gif

~Materials I used for feeder:
-1 quart (16 ounces, or 2lbs) plastic yogurt jar
- 1 small plant tray
-1 nut and bolt
~Tools used to make feeder:
- Anything sharp (used a nail)
- Kitchen scissors
-Cordless drill
IMG_0521.jpg

Inside view
IMG_0525.jpg

Bottom view
IMG_0528.jpg

~Materials for waterer:
- 1 quart plastic yogurt jar
- 1 plastic TV dinner bowl
- Hot glue
~Tools used to make waterer:
- Kitchen scissors
- Hot glue gun

IMG_0532.jpg

I made the feeder by cutting out four holes on separate sides of the jar.
I drilled a hole through the jars bottom and the plant tray, then screwed the nut and bolt in. Already tested this, it works great!

As for the waterer, I only cut out one tiny hole on one side and super glued the yogurt jar to the TV dinner bowl. (which I trimmed back a bit because it was too deep of a bowl.) This works well, too. On the inside of the waterer, I marked were the water level should be so it wont over flow.

Im so happy with how these turned out!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom