Thoughts on the bucket toggle feeder?

Folara

Songster
Aug 5, 2021
Southern California
I am interested in hearing everyone's thoughts, opinions, and ideas on using a bucket toggle feeder as the only or primary feeder for chickens. Below are pictures from the internet showing examples of this type of feeder - the chickens peck the cork/wood and a small amount of feed falls out of the hole.

1705083955413.png
1705083989598.png

I am personally drawn to this type of feeder because it will provide enrichment by contrafreeloading and ground foraging. My chickens live in a large predator-proof run 24/7 so I want to encourage as natural of a lifestyle as possible while having these limitations. This feeder will have them seek out food, work to get the food out, and search for fallen food. Related to this, it will help reduce waste by limiting access to food - since it isn't an open source of food the small amount that comes out with each peck will be more valuable and get cleaned up quickly.

Give me your pros and cons - what negatives can you see with this type of feeder, especially as the sole source of their main feed? Will there by any negative impacts on physical or mental health for the chickens? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Wouldn't the bulk of the food keep the spindle from moving enough for the proper amount of food the come out?
I think they'll just get territorial about the feeder and not get nearly enough.

I would give it a try. They are attracted to red and yellow, that's why the store bought waterers and feeders used red or yellow for the dish part. Use something red on the cork to encourage them to peck at it. From my high school psychology class, they will teach themselves.

I’ve been using this type of feeder since this past spring. It works very well. The biggest benefit for me is that it keeps the squirrels, sparrows and other free loaders away.
I don’t find that there is any territorial or bullying behavior. The top hens get their fill after leaving the coop in the morning and then the rest of the flock. They seem to really enjoy ”working“ for their food.

i strongly recommend using 2-3 holes per bucket rather than just one. It allows at least one hen per toggle. I usually see two hens at each toggle as they take turns pecking the toggle and eating what falls out.

Last edited:
It works very well according to some who use it. This guy gives an update a year later in a different video.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=world's+most+incredible+chicken+feeder+glow+in+the+dark&&view=detail&mid=D08035B0A6BA36AD8FEDD08035B0A6BA36AD8FED&&FORM=VRDGAR

Opps. That is the right people but the wrong video. He had one that showed the design phases and build. I'll try to find it.

Evidently, the domain was sold or changed or something and it isn't available. I kept the info thinking I might build one someday but my video card on that computer died so I can't access it - and maybe shouldn't share it without permission.

The short version is, it took some experimenting to get the size of the feed, the size of the holes, the spacing of the holes, and such to work together so it emptied well and didn't jam. And experimenting so the pan worked for the smaller pullets and larger roosters. Others don't use a pan, though, and seem to like it.

Last edited:
Wouldn't the bulk of the food keep the spindle from moving enough for the proper amount of food the come out?
I think they'll just get territorial about the feeder and not get nearly enough.
That's good thinking - from the tutorials I've seen online no one has mentioned anything about the weight of the food preventing the bolt from moving much. I think saysfaa brings up a good point, it takes some experimenting to figure out the right hole size vs bolt toggle to allow enough food to fall. Depending on how many birds share the space, larger holes would drop more food to help satiate more birds and multiple feeders would help prevent resource guarding.

I would give it a try. They are attracted to red and yellow, that's why the store bought waterers and feeders used red or yellow for the dish part. Use something red on the cork to encourage them to peck at it. From my high school psychology class, they will teach themselves.
That's a great idea to use colors to encourage pecking! When I first introduced a commercial waterer with red nipples my birds were ravenous pecking at the red plastic and eventually figured out the silver toggle released water.

I’ve been using this type of feeder since this past spring. It works very well. The biggest benefit for me is that it keeps the squirrels, sparrows and other free loaders away.
I don’t find that there is any territorial or bullying behavior. The top hens get their fill after leaving the coop in the morning and then the rest of the flock. They seem to really enjoy ”working“ for their food.

i strongly recommend using 2-3 holes per bucket rather than just one. It allows at least one hen per toggle. I usually see two hens at each toggle as they take turns pecking the toggle and eating what falls out.
Thank you for sharing your experience! I had hoped this feeder concept would bring much entertainment with hopefully minimal stress. Multiple holes per bucket are a good idea too, along with multiple buckets so all birds have access and don't have to wait or fight for food.
The short version is, it took some experimenting to get the size of the feed, the size of the holes, the spacing of the holes, and such to work together so it emptied well and didn't jam. And experimenting so the pan worked for the smaller pullets and larger roosters. Others don't use a pan, though, and seem to like it.
Thank you for sharing, I'll have to keep an eye out for tutorials that talk about the hole sizing and spacing to make sure it'll work for the food I use. I suppose if one bucket doesn't turn out right another bucket doesn't cost too much (if anything)!

It works very well according to some who use it. This guy
He used a toggle that ordered from England (he is in Australia). He said they were toggles used by researchers for a similar purpose. He gave the company, and I tried to get some but they had already stopped making them or I couldn't find the right company.

Anyway, you might experiment with some sort of flag or paddle on the eye of your bolts.

I use regular eye bolts. It does take some experimenting to get the right size hole for your feed. Start smaller then move larger. We initially made our holes too big and the feed just poured out with the slightest movement. One windy day would have emptied the bucket! Good thing buckets are cheap/free!

I use regular eye bolts. It does take some experimenting to get the right size hole for your feed. Start smaller then move larger. We initially made our holes too big and the feed just poured out with the slightest movement. One windy day would have emptied the bucket! Good thing buckets are cheap/free!
Thank you for your experience, I share the same thoughts on the buckets! Good idea to start with smaller holes, you can always go bigger but you can't go smaller. I'm sure different types of feed have different hole requirements so everyone has to experiment with what works for their specific feed.

I'm trying this right now. What have you found to be the optimum hole size and eye bolt size?

How high should the bottom of the bucket hang or how high should the toggle be?

I'm currently trying 1/4x4 eye bolts. I did a 5/8 hole and pellets will drop thru but a 3/4 hole works a little better.

Getting the chickens to realize there is food in the bucket and associate the toggle with food has not been successful.

Back
Top Bottom