Homemade chicken food

Most of the articles I read suggest adding DE to feed (small amount) to help chickens digest better, to prevent worms, and for general health purposes. Is DE bad in feed?
The only reason you'd ever need to add it to feed is to keep grain weevils from eating the grains. Digested DE doesn't do squat for a bird's health. It's all a bunch of malarkey. Additionally it's a respiratory irritant.

Welcome to BYC, Bob. How many chickens are you feeding?
Your best, and cheapest bet might be to check out feed stores in your area to find out if they mix their own feeds.
You are probably right. I can get Tucker feed at my local feed store. Right now I've got a bard rock rooster (Bok Bok), a one legged bard rock hen (Hoppie), and our broody hen (Easter egger) named Re-etta. ( Hen Reetta :)). In February we're getting 15 chicks (3 each of 5 different varieties). I know that feed mills specialize in making feed that is blended for the specific needs of the different kinds and ages of birds. And like much of processed people food, I expect there's stuff in the processed feed for chickens that's not good. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom