Homemade cooler Bator' Hold temps better than a LG??

KYBOY

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Eastern,Kentucky
I was curious..I know a lot of folks use coolers of one type or another to make homemade incubators..We all know how sensitive Little Giants are to ambient room temperature....Just how well does your homemade cooler incubator hold up to temperature swings in the room its in? just how well does it hold temp if the room gets a bit cold?

I really like the LG...but the temperature on my mine does creep upwards without any change in room temperature or humidity. However, it is not drastic and only requires a slight adjustment every few days. The advantage to the LG is that the temperature swing between the heating element turning off and on is hardly noticable.

The advantage for me with using a hot water thermostat on a homemade incubator was that I never had to adjust the temperature. Once I established the right setting, it stayed at that temperature the whole time. It took me a while to be comfortable with 4 - 6 degree swings in the air temperature...a water wiggler eased my concern there.

I have an old LG as a back-up..As long as the room temp is stable my LG holds like a rock..Dead steady, but when the room temp changes so does the LG
hmm.png
Thats the oly thing about the LG that bothers me..If the room temp changes 5* then the LG will change a good 2*
roll.png

I was just really wondering if the cooler incubators hold temps better because of the thicker walls and better insulation?? Seems as so they should..

My homemade bator, a Coleman cooler type, holds the temperature pretty well. I only put a single pane of glass in the lid (for a viewing window) and probably should have doubled it, as it does lose some heat there. I have just been covering the glass with a folded towel for insulation. I just move the towel when I need to look inside at the eggs and thermometers.

Ive often wondered if the LG had just a bit stronger heating element would it hold temps better??? It only has a 25 watt element...Maybe a 100 watt heat rope??

Back
Top Bottom