Homemade detergent and 'he' front loaders???

ChooksChick

BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist
15 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Larry, KS
My Coop
My Coop
Our washer caught fire last August the day before my Mom-in-law was due, with 5 loads of laundry lying around, and we had to go get one on credit (I HATE credit!!). The only place we could get one right then was Sears. It was a front loading LG for $900 (we got $300 off because I pulled it up on sale elsewhere on my phone and they matched).

I wasn't going to spend that kind of money on something they told me would have a voided warranty if I used non-'he' detergent, but that's the way it had to be.

I don't want to have to pay for that extra cost when I could make fabulous detergent, but I'm afraid it'll leave residue and void our warranty.

Has anyone used homemade detergent in a front loader that is 'he,' and if so, how long have you done so successfully? What kind do you make, and would you share the recipe with me?

**edited because I am a self-grammar nazi!

Last edited:
I don't make homemade detergent, but I use regular detergent and 1/3 the recommended amount and have no problems. Remember, HE is only low sudsing, so if you manually lower the suds by reducing the amount used, you've reached the same result.
About warranty... we'll I've made it past the warranty period anyway so it made to diff to me.
What I will tell you is that the new front loaders save a phenomenal amount of water over the old standard 55 gallon units. If you live in a place with septic, it's a must.

the homemade detergent is super low suds so you can use it in a front load machine.

we love it. the clothes are much cleaner and don't wear out as quickly.

enjoy!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom